Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: someone please help :( my space,backspace and enter keys won't work!  (Read 5587 times)

acoustichead

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I was typing perfectly fine and then all of a sudden they stopped working on my laptop.(I'm typing on a crappy external keyboard right now) I don't know why this happened at all however idk if this effects anything but my computer over heated twice yesterday but was fine after that for a long time with no issues i put a fan on with it to keep it from over heating again. I checked and there is no dust or anything in the keyboard all looks clean. I tried rebooting the computer even took the battery out popped it back in. What can fix this? please help I need this computer for work its desperate i keep it working.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: someone please help :( my space,backspace and enter keys won't work!
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
     You will either need to run with an external keyboard that is better than the 'crappy' one you have or swap out the keyboard on the laptop in hopes that its the keyboard and not the KB Controller that got cooked from the overheat. So there is a chance that swapping out the keyboard on this laptop you can still have the same problem, yet a USB or PS2 keyboard depending on the age of the laptop uses a different controller and may work fine.

acoustichead

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
      I can't really roll with an external at the moment.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
      You can take a chance on buying a replacement keyboard for it and swapping it out, but sorry to say there are no quick fixes for a problem like this, and due to the nature of the system overheating leading up to this, there is no guarantee that swapping out the keyboard would cure it. However if the keyboard is troubled, swapping it out with the correct one would fix it.

Question I have is, would your employer buy you a new computer to use for work?

If you are self employed you can buy a new one and write it off as a business expense also.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
      I can't really roll with an external at the moment.
      What does that mean? Using an external keyboard on a laptop with a bad keyboard is the safe an low-cost way to keep your investment. Trying to repair the laptop keyboard can result in damage. Unless you kn ow how to do it right.
      Here is a video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94Y0miO45U

acoustichead

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:48:43 AM »
        It's more an issue of practicality in my case. I take my computer around with me a lot and having to carry computer with an external computer along with any books or anything else I need to carry is just impractical. I think I'll just get a new computer and move the files over, this one is getting old anyways. Thanks for all your help guys.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »
        What laptop is it?  Keyboards are generally pretty cheap to replace and it's usually not a massive job depending on the machine.