Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lenovo thinkpad e520 dead ?  (Read 3909 times)

geno112

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • i'm still learning
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
lenovo thinkpad e520 dead ?
« on: June 21, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
a friend gave me a thinkpad e520 (intel i3 chip) to check out . it's completely dead . no power light . no bios error beeps . nothing .what could it be ? the battery is charged . i had it plugged in . no signs of life at all . she said someone told her it's the motherboard but i think it the power board . how can i find out ? helppppp . lol .   ::)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: lenovo thinkpad e520 dead ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
It very likely may be the motherboard.

Do you know any other history behind the failure as to when the last time it ran correctly and then what happened between then and the time that it died?

( such as .... drink spilled in laptop, it took a dive down a flight of stairs, it was left turned on and put into a backpack or computer bag and overheated to death in the confined space, bad storm came thru and ever since it wont boot, child ran thru room and clotheslined the power cable to laptop and laptop dropped off coffee table to hardwood floor ..... ect ) * All these of which I have seen kill laptops.

Information as to how it may have died can point us in a direction...

geno112

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • i'm still learning
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
my friend said that one night it was working and the next day it was dead . even if it was the motherboard wouldn't it at least still show that it was getting power from the adapter ?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
You stated that the battery was taking a charge.... with no indication from the computer, how do you know that this is happening?

I am guessing that you already removed the battery from the laptop for like an hour and then placed it back into the laptop and tried to boot it up then. I have seen some laptops brick them selves and then when you  remove the battery for a while and add it back its fixed.