Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Monitors  (Read 2700 times)

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Dual Monitors
    « on: June 25, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
    Or should I say "dueling monitors". They seem to be competing. The problem is the screen resolution on the 32" flat screen TV. I can't get it to cover the whole screen. I had a similar set-up with a 22" monitor and a 40" TV and every thing was fine. Now I have a new set-up, a 22" monitor and a 32" TV. I went into the control panel, adjust screen resolution and tried to get it set up but it's not working. I have tried it in "Extend these displays" which shows a different resolution for each monitor but the TV still doesn't have the screen filled. I tried in "Duplicate these displays" and it's the same thing. I can understand it wouldn't work in this mode because it shows only one resolution. My video card is a XFX1-PL. I have the monitor hooked up by DVI and the TV by HDMI, that's how my other set up was too. I think I might have had the same video card. 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dual Monitors
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:26:26 PM »
    Aspect Ratio setting in TV can make it fill entire screen

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
      OK, I messed around with the TV aspect ratio setting along with the computer screen resolution and I almost got the two set up but the main thing is now when I get them both where I want them I loose the desktop icons on the TV. Does any one know why? I found a really good resolution for the TV in the process.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
      If the desktop is extended, then one will be primary and one will be secondary. The primary would have the desktop icons and the secondary would have just a bare desktop. If you drag an icon from one screen to the other you should be able to move it to the secondary and it will be placed there as long as you have the desktop icons allowed to do so with unlock.

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
         DaveLembke, I don't how to move the icons and nothing but the desktop background is displayed on the TV. The closest I can get to what I want and still have every thing set up on both displays is to use the "Duplicate these displays" and pick a resolution that favors the monitor or the TV. What I mean is one resolution isn't ideal for both displays, one or the other has black space at the top and bottom. I am going check the video card makers web page for help and try taking the video card out and uninstalling it and using the video that came on the motherboard to see if it's the video card that is having a problem.

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »
          I am also downloading the updated drivers for the video card to see if that helps. I am going to check where I bought my last video card and see what i was, that one set up very nice.

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
            The other thing that works is use "Extend these displays" and then use the "Make this my main display" option and have that show the icons. I use the the TV to watch TV so it isn't even on all the time. I can switch the main display when I watch TV.