Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: resolution won't change  (Read 3955 times)

dave wright

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    resolution won't change
    « on: July 15, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
     I recently had a STOP (bsod 0*7b) error I couldn't fix so a friend installed another XP operating system on my computer(a vintage 2000 model with on board Intel 740 graphics-5.1.2001.0 driver). Now my resolution won't go above minimum (740*480) with 4 bit color. Monitor is an AOpen A70PF. Slide control and color change but they go right back after hitting apply. Device manager shows no problems (except AVC device which has a yellow !) No changes except OS. One other weird thing -I can only get the let half (from top to bottom) of a page on Google+! Please help!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: resolution won't change
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
    You need XP drivers re-installed for that PC...chipset drivers 1st...re-boot...then install all others.
    In your case it's the Video driver...not a driver monitor...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dave wright

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
      Thanks but I'm still not 100% clear. Chipset drivers for the Intel 740? How many "other" drivers do I need? Can I get them from Intel-how do I identify them all-how can I be sure I have everything I need? Why aren't they a part of the OS? Will I need any other drivers for other functions? Enough questions?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
      As Patio said, get the specific set of drivers fro that motherboard. Don't think about the monitor. Windows will install a generic driver for the monitor. You must have the full set of drivers for that motherboard. Just getting some drivers from Intel is not enough. Even motherboards that  are almost the same are not.

Example. I had a Dell 745. I go  to the Dell web site and find the list of drivers for that model. I might see there is also a list for a 755 model. But that will not do. The two models are very similar, but I can not interchange the drivers. Furthermore, that earlier model requires five downloads for Windows XP.

You have to get drives specific to the motherboard.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:35:07 PM »
      All the necessary drivers will be at the MBoard manuf. site...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "