Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recommendation Needed: File/Folder Sharing  (Read 3583 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Recommendation Needed: File/Folder Sharing
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:25:13 AM »
I am collaborating on a project with some folks, and I'd like to set up a shared drive (or even a folder with subfolders) . Only requirements are:
- Anyone with the password can have read/write privileges
- Files can be accessed whilst offline
- Need to share MS Office (Win/iOS), MS Project, JPG,PDF files

Pretty simple, right?

I'd love to set up Dropbox - it seems perfect. Trouble is, I already have a personal Dropbox account, so I can't set up a second one on my machine. (I'd have to use web access only, which is in conflict with my second requirement.) (So a fourth requirement would be "Must coexist and not share with existing Dropbox account"!)

I can't quite tell if Google Drive accomplishes all of that - I read the descriptions of sharing and collaborating one way, and then I read them in a totally opposite way. (eg, Do I have to earmark each file that I share? Do I have to be signed on (thus online) to open any files?)

I am also, for another project with another set of people, going  to need to install BOX. So, again, if that is a preferred alternative, I would need to be able to maintain two accounts on one machine.

I've also heard of TeamDrive, but don't know anyone who's used it.

So, I'll through it to y'all, CH Forum members, What's Your Recommendation?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Recommendation Needed: File/Folder Sharing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »
Google Drive is great - and the first 15Gb are free.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »
I can't imagine crashing past 15GB.

Is the interface essentially a "shared folder" type - like a Network folder (or Dropbox)?

Thanks

(I noticed when I DL'ed Google Drive, it also dropped shortcuts for Google Docs, Google Slides, and Google Sheets... Not nice, Google.)

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »
OK, it appears that I can't share the entire folder with others, I have to individually pick-and-choose which files?

So is the solution then, create a "dummy" Google Account, where everyone on the team shares credentials, and then they can get into and out of the same Google Drive ("GD", heh heh) folder?

Which means if they need to get to their individual GMails or anything like that, they'd need to sign out and sign back in each time... Correct?