Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Elusive electrical problem  (Read 5285 times)

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Elusive electrical problem
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
I have recently completed a new build with minimal amount of returned parts and only a few shouting matches with suppliers.  I thank this forum as well as Tom's hardware, Windows forums, PC Picker, and others for the help.  I started by buying books which were great...but...they are out dated when they hit the stands.  This field moves fast.

I used an older China made metal case for my build.  I has no company name and very few distinguishing marks but seemed substantial and could save me a few bucks.

For the most part that worked, but then I experienced a download problem that went away after a reboot, then a blue screen that said if it shows up again contact admin (that's me).  Well, all this worked its way out but left a particular electrical problem that has been driving me nuts.

Symptoms are 1. Start and boot up only while laying on its side. Works fine.  When standing up, Trouble.  The front switch seemed bad so I took the face plate apart and found a non removable switch and seemed ok after a cleaning and worked. I checked and reseated all leads and so far everything checks out but...this kind of thing plagues me.  This is the kind of thing that happens to a race car due to extreme pressures.  My case is subject to occasional bumps and has to be turned off now and then.  This has the earmarks of a loose wire but I have not been able to find anything wrong.  Any thoughts from the experienced repair folks?

Salmon Trout

Re: Elusive electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
Check RAM modules. Reseat if necessary.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »
Agreed...
Also double check all MBoard standoffs are in place as well.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
Excellent advice.  However, this is what happened...I took everything apart ...  Checked all the fittings including the faceplate switch and found nothing.  So, I put the whole thing back together and  it worked.  I, then took it from the work area to the computer desk, bumped it while hooking up the case and it quit working. I then laid it on its side and it started working, back to the desk...bump...no workee...back on its side...workee...very carefully back to the desk.  Hook up and everything works fine.  Since then, there have been several bumps and its working fine... go figure...??

I looked up strib nicht vor mit-Rammstein.  Very dramatic. I recommend  an English singer "Lily Allen" very clear message...

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
Sometimes a loose part, intermittent connection, or small solder ball the size of a bic pen ball point could cause the problem you have. If your lucky it was a solder ball that finally worked its way out and fell to the bottom of the case.

If its a lose part stray in the system such as a screw or washer etc usually it can be heard when rotating the computer and you will hear it dropping around inside. * On some cheap cases the rivots have been known to come loose and part of the rivot will drop onto sensitive electronics.

With this here the only safe diagnostic is to wait and see if it comes back as a problem. A dangerous method is to try to induce the problem to come back and burn up electronics if its a severe problem.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
Hi

if you have a mechanical hard drive , please Don't  bump the computer when it is running that causes bad sectors which will shorten the live of the hard drive also cause the computer to slow down.

Do you have a motherboard speaker attached ? If you do what is the beep code when the computer wasn't starting?

Also what motherboard do you have ?

when it wasn't  starting when stood up did nothing power up or nothing on the screen but the fans and lights were on.

I'm trying to find whether it is a motherboard case problem or possible power supply problem.

After you built the computer did you run the shake test to check for rattles like dropped screws ?

If you found this helpful please press the thanks button

Lisamaree

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
If you found this helpful please press the thanks button

Seriously ? ?

sigh.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »

drhck

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »
Specs: mobo=ASRock Z77 Extreme 4; CPU= Intel Coore i5 3450 Quad; memory= Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1333. I am using the onboard intel graphics.  I have a MSI Radeon video card which was DOA and has to be sent back.  ASRock has a DrDeBug code.  I got d6 which means "no console output devices found" along with 5 beeps.  I took everything apart, put it back together and got d7 which means "no console input devices found" no beeps.  ??? I have taken the CMOS battery out and am adding one component at a time but no luck with the RAM  reseating and trying each stick  I think I have a bad mobo this will be the second bac ASRock board...

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
What power supply are you using?  Dodgy power supplies can cause all sorts of strange behaviour.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »
Dear OP.
Here is a link that provides some guidelines about your problem in general terms.
CH Motherboard Troubleshooting Archives.
It will show links to over 100 articles that have been posted in the past about troubleshooting common problems.
Maybe it will help.  :)