Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with openning saved webpages(.html files)  (Read 3566 times)

elabis

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Problem with openning saved webpages(.html files)
    « on: July 09, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »
    I can't open .html file in my browser, instead of this:

which is a SS of a saved webpage I want to open.

it shows this:

4 new tabs that have nothing on them. Each address bar in 4 tabs has in it only part of the address where the file I want to open is.

For example:
    tab 1. C:\fskjfkjjfdsk\
    2. sjkasjdkjkdsa\
    3. kldsaklsda

and this is the whole address:
    C:\fskjfkjjfdsk\sjkasjdkjkdsa\kldsaklsda

I can open the same file normally in Firefox and IE. This browser is called Iron. It's Chrome based. I've used it before, this very version and it worked normally.
    And BTW, when I drag&drop the saved webpage into this browser it also opens normally like it should.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with openning saved webpages(.html files)
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
    You want to save a copy of a web page so ;you can look at it without going on line. Is that right? Have you tried doping that with other browsers?
    The browser you named is not in the top list of popular browsers.
    Google Chrome
    Mozilla Firefox
    Safari
    Opera
    Internet Explorer
    Maxthon
    Netscape Browser
    YouTube Browser
    UC Browser
    Avant
    Of course there are many more browsers that work very well. But I did not find much about the one you named.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron
    If you can reproduce the problem is a more common browser,  more users here would be able to help. As for me, I want to help, but I do not want to try yet another  browser. :)

elabis

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »
      I think I fixed it, not sure how, I installed new version of the browser, then messed with some .html extension settings in Folder Options>File Types and now it woRRks.
      Thank you!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
      Glad that CH was able t o help.
      Sometimes it helps just to talk something out.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »
      Even though you got it working, just wanted to state that you can also capture an entire website for offline viewing vs just the pages that you visit that get stored into the browsers offline cache. I used HTTrack in the past to make entire websites that do not have flash and dynamic html into offline viewable sites. I use to use this back when I was buying and selling collectables and was able to travel around with a price listing of the market that was downloaded earlier that day, so when in question about whether something is a good deal or not, I could flip open my laptop and surf offline to the pricing info and do a look up, and then base my decision to buy it or not based on real market info. This was before all the wireless hot spots and portable online devices became available in which today you could probably do the same look up with live info on iPhone without the need for a laptop with offline website and access all information including those sites with flash and dynamic html content that Httrack do not capture very well.

Back in the day 10 years ago... this offline info gave me an advantage over other customers walking around at shows as well as over the sellers that either didnt know what they really had for its value or those who were trying to sell something by promoting verbally at how well it was and its worth who were like ex-car dealers turned collectable dealers were unable to sell their lines of garbage to me about what they state something is worth when I have actual market info which is what the current average fair market value it is.

I had a few dealers red faced when I was able to flip open my laptop and show them that THIS is what its worth, and its not worth what you are asking when some got into a heated discussion when I was telling them it was worth less and I am willing to only pay say $25 for this item that they are asking for $50 and its fair market value is $35 for example.

Dealers like this prey on those who walk in and are instantly sold on having to have something or instantly sold on those of whom they can convince the value is greater than that of what the people are buying it for of which it is not.

http://www.httrack.com/