Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Hard Drive Problems  (Read 3256 times)

D.M.

New Hard Drive Problems
« on: July 22, 2004, 09:26:36 AM »
After running out of space on my 40 gig HD, I added a 160 gig western digital.  When I was setting it up, it said some computers may not recognize HDs over 120 gig.  Everything seemed to have worked properly and I transferred some files to the new HD.  However, the new HD seems to "skip".  It is noticeable when listening to music files from the new drive.  If I'm listening to music from the new drive and exploring it at the same time, the music skips.  Also, when exploring, it freezes for a few seconds.  This isn't really a big problem, but just kind of annoying.

BTW, I'm running XP, my comp is P4, 2.5 ghz, 512Mb RAM.

Would it be worth my while to try to reinstall?  Is there anything else to try?
Thx.

Raptor

Re: New Hard Drive Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 12:16:27 PM »
You could attempt to create partitions and use a different File System. You will have to format before being able to do so.

D.M.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 06:45:41 PM »
Completely reformatted it and partitioned it into 3 sections.  It still "skips".

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 06:50:27 PM »
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000 i would guess this problem is related to an audio driver damaged/corupted run dxdiag in the run  box and test for sound?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 06:50:54 PM by merlin_2 »