Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My keyboard stops working when my computer memory is taxed  (Read 4426 times)

Dalumbrhack

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    My keyboard stops working when my computer memory is taxed
    « on: July 16, 2014, 06:39:46 AM »
    When i first got this issue I thought, a virus maybe? But it can't be, because it isn't always here. A registery issue? maybe but I've reinstalled the drivers 5 time now, and   I've cleaned the registry dozens of times at this point. the only thing i can think of is a signal interruption but that doesn't make sense as the keyboard (which is wireless) works fine until i have a lot of programs open. The keyboard stops recognising key presses, that's all, but i can't do anything about it. My mouse (wired) is fine but my keyboard just stops. From the start of the symptoms it will register any key press intermittently, i occasionally get lucky and it might work for all of 3 letters before it again stops registering key presses. For example
    if i were to type this line right now with only notepad open it will type almost completely normally
    BUT once I open a few memory intensive programs like skype and chrome (i have maybe 4 tabs open) the same line looks like this
    if ier to type this messagigt nw h onl ntdpenitwill pe lmost completly normally (with only chrome)
    Now that both are open,it looks like this
    iiet y t esgehoyeponiwil cmplt ol
    My typing isn't infallible but it's not that bad.

System information that I can tell you (what I know) is that the OS is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
    AMD II X2 225 processor
    2.00 GB of memory
    Bios v2.3
    (not that i think any of those specks could help)
    PLEASE HELP

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: My keyboard stops working when my computer memory is taxed
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:25:37 AM »
    I don't doubt that "cleaning the registry" has contributed to your problem. Registry cleaners cause problems, they do not cure them. The "best" registry cleaners are benign and do absolutely nothing, but the worst of them can cause major damage.

For starters, I would suggest a repair install of XP. If the issue continues you might just want to switch to a wired keyboard.

Dalumbrhack

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:41 AM »
      Actually the cleaner helped increase the amount of programs I could have open for a while... not that that was what i was hopping for, I also defragged my drives.

Could you give a basic run through of a repair install (as jn do i get out the disk and reinstall or is it an in computer option).

Getting a wired keyboard would likely annoy the other users so I'm trying everything else I can first. Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
      Let me say it again - registry cleaners are useless at best and can cause serious harm to your Windows Installation. I strongly urge you to uninstall any registry cleaners you have on your system. Here, read this:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. 
      • The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
      • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
      • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
      • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
      • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
      • Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
          Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don't use registry cleaners: http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why-i-dont-use-registry-cleaners/

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?: http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i-need-a-registry-cleaner/

Allan

• Mastermind

Dalumbrhack

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »
        Oh wow. Thank you, i did thoroughly check this one but that's terrifying. Again, Thanks for the help.