Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Straight SATA HDD docking stations?  (Read 2876 times)

jrregan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Straight SATA HDD docking stations?
    « on: July 16, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
    Have about 20 older SATA/ATA HDDs that I want to review and purge. All are <1T (yeah, old!). Don't want to mess with a new box just for bare HDDs and 3/4 internals on my main box are snug and secure. So thinking with a long SATA cable I could ease the drive swapping.

Does anybody know of a SATA HDD docking station that carries SATA straight thru (on an extended cable). Just need a p/s and a dock.

thanks,
    Joseph

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Straight SATA HDD docking stations?
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
    Maybe this is want your want.
    An external enclosure for a SATA hard drive.
    But they are hard to find.
    Instead, people use USB enclosures.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Straight SATA HDD docking stations?
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
    When you use a sata drive external to a computer it is normal to use ESata which is a longer cable and needs the motherboard to have Esata ports.
    As USB 3.0 is nearly as fast and supports easy drive swapping that is maybe the best option.
    The other option is to use 1 of your spare motherboard Sata ports and use a standard cable and power from the computer and attach the drives that way.You need to power the computer down when changing the drives thou.

So here is a Sata to esata /USB3.0 docking station

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Docking/SuperSpeed-USB-3-eSATA-Hard-Drive-Docking-Station-with-Cooling-Fan~SATDOCKU3SEF

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan