Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Ports stay powered after PC shutdown  (Read 7015 times)

MoffKalast

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Nothing ever works, except when it does.
    • Experience: Experienced
    USB Ports stay powered after PC shutdown
    « on: July 19, 2014, 01:35:36 AM »
    So i have a new PC with a ASROCK Z87M Pro 4 motherboard that insists on powering all my usb ports after shutdown. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if I didn't have 2 external HDDs that go into standby mode and blink their led power lights creating an annoying lightshow untill I flip the psu switch. I've searched around a bit and found that enabling ErP/EuP should fix it, but the bios menu has no option to enable this although the motherboard manual claims it to be ErP ready.
    Is there any other way to disable this annoying usb powering?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: USB Ports stay powered after PC shutdown
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
    That is actually a feature for that MBoard to enable charging USB devices...
    The Manual will probably tell you how to switch it off...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Maleke

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »
      Duct tape cures light shows.

But I echo the last poster, this feature should have an off button somewhere.

Other options might include seeing if ALL the USB ports have power after shutdown, unplugging your externals, or even turning them off instead.

The best real answer is to look again about turning that "feature" off.

-Mal

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
      Reference:
      The ErP (Energy-related Products) Directive is part of the European Union’s new environment regulations concerning the increased proliferation of electronic devices and the impact these devices are having on the environment. The goal of the ErP is to set new energy efficiency standards to reduce the energy consumption and other negative environmental impacts that occur during the product’s life cycle.
      (unnamed source.)
      Also:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-related_products
      In November 2009, the Eco-Design Directive EuP was replaced with the new energy-related products directive (ErP) 2009/125/EC. The old directive for energy using products only covered products that used energy, such as washing machines or computers
      Does this mean people are -
      -- leaving washing machines running 24/7?  ::)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
      ***sigh***

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
      Does this mean people are -
      -- leaving washing machines running 24/7?  ::)

My 2012 Zanussi washing machine is powered up 24/7/365. It uses less than 1 Watt in standby mode, (the so-called "vampire power" draw). The EU and many US states are members of the "One-Watt initiative" (One watt standby power maximum for appliances sold, reduced to 0.5 Watt in 2013 in the EU and California)

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
      My 2012 Zanussi washing machine is powered up 24/7/365. It uses less than 1 Watt in standby mode, (the so-called "vampire power" draw). The EU and many US states are members of the "One-Watt initiative" (One watt standby power maximum for appliances sold, reduced to 0.5 Watt in 2013 in the EU and California)

Hopefully this doesnt become the case with PC's with live USB ports to charge from. As for cutting the wattage in half would increase the charge time of say a kindle fire by 2x the prior time. So your newer computer would take 2x the time of the old computer to charge the same device. Could you imagine the angry mobs of people who get upset when the new PC takes forever as in twice the time to charge their portable devices when the computer is shut off and idle...LOL

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »
      Hopefully this doesnt become the case with PC's with live USB ports to charge from. As for cutting the wattage in half would increase the charge time of say a kindle fire by 2x the prior time. So your newer computer would take 2x the time of the old computer to charge the same device. Could you imagine the angry mobs of people who get upset when the new PC takes forever as in twice the time to charge their portable devices when the computer is shut off and idle...LOL
      the limit of the 5v Standby rail with the PC's Power supply is the only limiting factor in terms of total power draw. "Normal" USB can deliver 2.5 Watts per port at maximum (500mA at 5v).

I'm surprised anybody uses the features of a PC often provided when it is off, such as charging USB ports. Though I seldom shut my PC off. I've found power-related features and options on a desktop PC to be a giant crapshoot.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
      Dictation.
      My earlier post about a washing machine being left on full  the time was meant to be a sarcasm. I had no idea that the European Union as well as the United States want people to use standby appliances that consume only 1 W of power.
      Now, if they really want to, there is the technology available that can reduce the standby power down to zero. Yes, zero, or even less. To make it work there would  have to be a change in the electrical codes for all new construction and for existing residential construction.
      Basically, it is about how to  to provide an alternative power source to small appliances over the existing residential wiring. This system would supply the standby voltage of 18 V that comes from a different power source. The power source would be something other than the electrical mains. For example, it could be a solar panel that charges up a battery and provides the DC voltage through the existing power lines.
      Excuse me, I misspoke. It is not 18 V DC. It is actually a radio frequency source that  will deliver about 18 V DC to each appliance. Sorry, I don't have the details at hand. The concept is similar to the idea of providing data over power lines using radio frequencies, except in this case, said discrete radio frequency is used to provide a small amount of power.
      Because this would introduce new technology, it doesn't seem likely that the European Union and United States would adopt this kind of technology in the near future. But in the long term. it  offers a way for an entire city to shut down the entire power grid for several hours while residences can continue to have standby power for emergency use. Meanwhile, we have these goofy laws that require a Band-Aid approach to a much larger problem.
      Back to topic.
      I would imagine that the OP could come up with some clever scheme of having a power cut off with some kind of a relay after the power level drops below a certain point.  :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
      Your sarcasm fails...everytime.
      Perhaps a new humor vein would suit your purpose...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:11:18 PM »
      You don't understand.