Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows has detected a hard disk problem  (Read 3336 times)

Saajuk

Windows has detected a hard disk problem
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
Samsung laptop 4-5 years old:
Version: 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Model: Q430/Q530
Processor: Intel Core i5   M 450 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logic...
Bios Version: 2.6
Ram: 4 GB

So this laptop crashed on me last year and now I want to fix it and I think I need to replace the hard drive but I am not sure. When it first crashed I tried booting up System recovery but it stuck to the samsung recovery screen for the longest time before it would give me one of those blue screens saying "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" along with alot of other jargen I did not have time to read. I repeated the process over and over and finally got to a screen were I could system restore and I did a complete restore. After that it seemed to work perfectly fine and was fast like it should be but when I went to windows update and downloaded the 126 updates it said it needed and when it completed I got a pop up saying "Windows detected a hard disk problem" and asked me to back up my files in orderer to protect myself from a failure. This pop up message will keep coming back every time I restart too. Also the computer seems like its alot slower now after I updated. Is it safe to say my hard disk need replacement and if so would I need to by another windows os again? I dont know where my disk is.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows has detected a hard disk problem
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »
Hard Drive Diagnostics:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 

Make sure you select the tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Hi

As Allan has suggested that will confirm the hard drive is failing. hard drives when they start to fail can become total faulty ie not able to work at all very quickly.

Do you know how to copy the drive to another replacement drive if so this would be the quickest way to get the laptop reliable again.

If the above isn't an option please make a set of recovery disks as explained here 

http://www.mytoshiba.co.nz/support/items/faq/69

These disks will allow you to install windows onto a new drive, if Allan's suggestion confirms the drive is faulty.

If you haven't made a set of recovery disks for the laptop you should as soon as possible.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Saajuk

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
ya i did all the test and they all failed within 5 seconds lol
and i dont have a toshiba, will their recovery program work on a samsung? I guess ill be using samsung recovery solution 4 instead.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:18:32 PM by Saajuk »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
The HDD is dead...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "