Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NO bootable disk.  (Read 5974 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
NO bootable disk.
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
So i have this toshiba laptop.. It boots up and says "no bootable device found". It runs windows 8 and i used the windows 8 dvd and ran check disk. Zero bad sectors where found. It fired into windows once and then proceeded with the message. How can i fix this issue? is there a repair option on the windows 8 dvd? i dont want to format the system. I also booted into Ubuntu 11.04 and all the hard drives where there and seemed to contain the owners data. Like i said the system booted in the first time i received the laptop and once more after but now it just refuses to do so. Boot record damaged? what seems to be the issue? Any ideas? However when i was on the windows dvd it stated that the hard drive was locked.. what??

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: NO bootable disk.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
At some point does it ask for a password?
How old is the laptop? What model number?
Have you ever made a backup image of this laptop?
Backup in Windows 8 is not hard to do. Here is an article from Tom's hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-make-system-image-backup,26542.html
After the successful installation of Windows 8 on a computer, administrators are strongly recommended to create a system image backup of the operating system. Administrators do so in order to get the system back up and running in case the operating system fails to boot, or otherwise gets corrupted for any reason.
Did you already do that?

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
The laptops is about a year old.. little over. Its a toshiba with a celeron 6gb ram. NOt sure exact specs as im at work and not with it now. I didnt create a backup as its not my system. Its for an elderly man which is friends with my father. Im just trying to get this machine back into windows. It seems to have a bios pass each time it starts which i have. Like I said first time i got into windows i went into the bios and checked everything there. Then it wouldnt go. after shutting it off it went again and now it wont do anything. Check disk found zero errors. but the hard drive is locked apparently.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:02:48 PM »
The system cannot find the boot configuration data. Either that data is corrupt or the hd is shot. Try all repair options on the Windows 8 DVD. You can also download the diagnostic utility from the website of your hd manufacturer and test the hd.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
like i said. Ive tried to windows 8 dvd by using the cmd propmt and running check disk. then when i tried diagnostics it said my drive was locked.. how to unlock it?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »
Is that the exact message: Device is locked ?