Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC booting issues  (Read 4359 times)

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    PC booting issues
    « on: August 07, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
    I've had this custom built pc for over a year, I didn't make it but I bought it from some dude who custom built it for himself.
    It's great but it has problems booting or returning from being asleep.

I'd LOVE to turn my pc to sleep when I leave the house but half of the time it won't boot back on, or my peripherals won't turn on, or some other problem. I don't put it to sleep anymore because it causes more problems than it fixes.

Lately it's been REALLY hot in my house. I've been turning my pc off while I sleep to keep my room cool for the past couple of days.

Problem day 1: Power on, case lights up, peripherals and monitor won't turn on. Press reset and it works.

Problem day 2: Power on, case lights up, peripherals power on, computer freezes at Windows logo screen.

Problem day 3 (today): Try powering on for about 20 minutes, case is lit up but peripherals and monitor won't turn on. I tried powering off and resetting for awhile. Eventually it all powered on, and my peripherals were lit up. It got to my desktop, but then my applications stopped starting up and I realized my mouse and keyboard were not responsive despite being lit up. I reset once and it FINALLY worked.

What could be causing this? As far as I'm aware, this pc has always had quirks trying to boot up. I've replaced the PSU from about 550w to 725w in the past 6 months. It's super annoying, my pc is great other than that issue. It would be nice to be able to turn it off.

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
    CPU: AMD FX-6100 at 3.3Ghz
    Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 OC 1GB
    PSU: Cooler Master Extreme 2 Power Plus 725W
    RAM: 8GB

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC booting issues
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 04:02:06 PM »
    Hi

Could you check your Bios version , it's displayed when you are in the bios setup. That motherboard has 17 bios updates available and  and may need an update to support your CPU and the power features.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:26:40 PM »
      Hi

Could you check your Bios version , it's displayed when you are in the bios setup. That motherboard has 17 bios updates available and  and may need an update to support your CPU and the power features.

Hi! So I went to my bios and it's telling me version 1302.

Edit: I'm a little slow today. All I need to do is download this file right? Or do I have to download every update since 1302?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »
      Hi

You just need the latest one. Some things to note if you can, backup your bios settings or at least write down the hard drive access mode. Backup the original bios before writing the new one. Also do you have another computer that you can get a bios recovery flash drive if you need it . If you don't it  would pay to make that before you flash the bios.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »
        Hi

You just need the latest one. Some things to note if you can, backup your bios settings or at least write down the hard drive access mode. Backup the original bios before writing the new one. Also do you have another computer that you can get a bios recovery flash drive if you need it . If you don't it  would pay to make that before you flash the bios.

I'm not sure how to do any of those things :/ I do have a laptop. I don't have a flash drive but I do own SD cards if those will work...

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »
        Hi
        They are just safe guards

This is information on how to recover the Bios if something goes wrong
        http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M2N-E&s=24&hashedid=NFlvt10av3F7ayQ9&os=24&no=1722

And you can get the drive access mode from the bios set up under access mode.

You would be best to use a pen drive to update the bios . I don't know if the SD card will work.

If you do this incorrectly it could brick your motherboard so please read the Asus bios update procedure and ask if there is anything that isn't clear before proceeding.

― John Bunyan

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
          Hi
          They are just safe guards

This is information on how to recover the Bios if something goes wrong
          http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M2N-E&s=24&hashedid=NFlvt10av3F7ayQ9&os=24&no=1722

And you can get the drive access mode from the bios set up under access mode.

You would be best to use a pen drive to update the bios . I don't know if the SD card will work.

If you do this incorrectly it could brick your motherboard so please read the Asus bios update procedure and ask if there is anything that isn't clear before proceeding.

How big of a flash drive do I need? How big is the chance that I could mess things up? :( I'd rather not spend money. I realize I'll need to if I brick my mobo but at least then I've tried right? Do you think I should just do it or would that be EXTREMELY dumb? This sounds like a scary thing lol. I swear I've updated my BIOS before (maybe not) but no one warned me of issues like this.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 05:39:16 PM »
          Hi

A 2Gb flash drive will be big enough. You may be able to update the bios from within windows  as explained here
          http://support.asus.com.tw/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&NO=714

I have done this many times and not had a problem. But as it's not my board I just don't want you to not brick yours.

― John Bunyan

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »
            Hi

A 2Gb flash drive will be big enough. You may be able to update the bios from within windows  as explained here
            http://support.asus.com.tw/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&NO=714

I have done this many times and not had a problem. But as it's not my board I just don't want you to not brick yours.

I want to try that.

So I downloaded the Bupdater utility here...

But when I run the .exe it tells me..

But I DID select the Windows 8.1 64bit download so I'm confused. I tried the download from
            and
            http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
            and neither of them worked - one page says the latest download is from 2011 and one says the latest download is from 2012? They both give me the same error though.
            Am I doing something wrong?

I have the box for the mobo, the cd might be in it, but I don't have a disk reader in the pc, only a disk writer??

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36:33 PM »
              Whoops!!

Lisa_maree

Mentor
              • My first real computer
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »
              Hi

here is the motherboard manual if you haven't got it http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A97_R2.0/E7438_M5A97_R2.pdf

Have a look at page 3-28 of the manual, I have always used the pendrive method never updated the bios in Windows.

That   ASUS Update Utility doesn't support windows 8.1 in the version I linked.

Please follow the instructions to make a boot pen drive and use that method

― John Bunyan

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »
                Hi

here is the motherboard manual if you haven't got it http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A97_R2.0/E7438_M5A97_R2.pdf

Have a look at page 3-28 of the manual, I have always used the pendrive method never updated the bios in Windows.

That   ASUS Update Utility doesn't support windows 8.1 in the version I linked.

Please follow the instructions to make a boot pen drive and use that method

Alright, it's this one correct?...

Once I put the BIOS file on a USB drive, how do I access that BIOS setup program? Is that accessed via the BIOS screen? I'm a little confused about that.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                • My first real computer
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »
                Hi yes it is in the tools section of the bios set up, page 3-26 of your manual. and how to make the file load is on page 3-31.

― John Bunyan