Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Backing Up Drivers  (Read 3504 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Backing Up Drivers
    « on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
    Trying to learn how to backup drivers for a clean install of Win7 Home Edition onto a new HD for my SIL (see other related threads). I read that all drivers are in 3 file folders which can be found in System32: DriverStore, DRVSTORE and drivers. I found these folders on my PC and copied them onto my external HD for practice. When I tried to paste them back to my C drive, I could not do it because I already had a file folder by the same name. PC asked if I wanted to replace existing folder, make a another folder with a different name or abort. I was able to make another folder but could not replace the existing folder. I can work around by renaming the copied folder and pasting it to my C drive. Then I can delete the original folder and rename the copied folder back to the original name. My question is does the folder name mean anything at all in terms of the new install being able to find the driver files?

On a related note, somehow I managed to convert most of the files in my driver file folder to pdf files. I can not open them with Adobe or IE. Maybe I can't open them anyway because they are system files. My question here is does it make any difference that the file folders are now pdf? If it does, how in heck do I change them back to regular file folders.

Thanks so much for your help.

Edit: Actually, I think I did not convert the driver file folders to pdf. I think I just changed the default program to open them. I changed the default to IE and the icon changed from pdf to IE but I still can not open them probably because they should not be opened. Anyhow, my other questions remain regarding how to copy, save and reinstall these system driver file folders for the clean install of Win 7.
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:04:30 PM by artbuc »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Backing Up Drivers
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
    Here is a link from Ton's Hardware.
    But I have not tried it. In fact, I doubt it works.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28789-45-back-drivers-formatting-hard-drive
    In that thread somebody later explains the premise is wrong.  Drivers are installed, not transferred as if they were auto-installing objects.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
    No need to ever back up drivers....
    On a new build you should just DLoad and install all of them from the manuf. site...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:08:41 AM »
      No need to ever back up drivers....
      On a new build you should just DLoad and install all of them from the manuf. site...

Yes, I know you and Cameronguy made that clear to me. But, some of her devices are very old and I was told a couple may no longer be available, eg the Kodak driver that allows her to open a couple big and important picture files. I will not know if this is true or not until after I do the clean install. Just thought it would be a good idea to back-up just in case.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:15 AM »
      To backup drivers is simply saving the downloaded files onto a different storage in case you need to reinstall the driver, operating system or becomes unavailable or not supported.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
        To backup drivers is simply saving the downloaded files onto a different storage in case you need to reinstall the driver, operating system or becomes unavailable or not supported.

Right, except once I copy the driver system files onto an external hard drive, how do I paste them back onto the new hard drive? IOW, how do I make the copied (backed-up) driver folders available to the newly installed OS?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:01:09 AM »
        When reinstalling windows or clean install, all software including drivers need to be reinstalled.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »
          When reinstalling windows or clean install, all software including drivers need to be reinstalled.

I am not being clear. Yes, I know the drivers have to be reinstalled. How do I use the backed-up drivers folder which I copied onto an external hard drive to reinstall the drivers, if necessary.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
            Moderator, please delete this thread. I just realized (duh) we have a Drivers sub-forum. Bet I will find my answer there. Thanks to all who have helped and are continuing to help me.