Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FCC : one-gigabit Wi-Fi soon.  (Read 10059 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: FCC : one-gigabit Wi-Fi soon.
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »
Yes, I did include a quote about Monday. Sorry, I did not mean to annoy the Moon or its lovers. The quotes was part of an article about a FCC announcement.

Presently I am having trouble with my DSL service. Perhaps AT&T is spying on me. I owe them a lot of money and have to ignore the bill collectors. Maybe that is why I am having trouble with dead links.
Here is what I get:
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
So bear with me. I have refe3rnces for what I said. Just hard to find the exact thing that you want it to say. Oh, here is one you will like:
...the two technologies do not have to be competitive but can be complimentary...
The link is not needed,  it supports your argument, so it is not needed. My response the the quote above is that the two technologies are competitive.  Unless some effort is made to stop it. AT&T can go either way if they want to. They might even use opposing technologies in different markets.

Somebody said you have to have fiber somewhere. Yes, that is true. But how close to your house does it have to be? The closer it is, the more it costs to deploy. Would  you say 100 meters? Maybe 300 meters? How about up to 5000 meters.

Presently DSL is limited to about 1500 meters. Any sideband access point that can exceed that will have a possible impact on both DSL and voice telephone for new installations.
BTW: AT&T is now offering a wireless home phone service even in areas where there is already local copper wire service. You see, AT&T is now separate fro the Bell system. It has been for some time.  Such could be upgraded to hiking-speed broadband.  But they are not using 803.11 services for that. But they  could. Others do. I did speak to the local Digital Path company today and they do offer Internet and Voice Over for $85 a month. Too much for me, so I declined. Bu I fear AT&T is watching me! 8)

EDIT:  Recent link with some information about Gigabit  Wi-Fi.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2138000/fcc-clears-the-way-for-faster-wifi.html
 Globalstar had raised interference concerns about new Wi-Fi devices operating in the spectrum, but general counsel Barbee Ponder said last month that the company did not object as long as its services could be protected.
“This change will have real impact, because we are doubling the unlicensed bandwidth in the 5 GHz band overnight,” Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said.

leolako21

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
    I hope there will be like this very soon. I will spend my money to avail this one just to make sure of my internet is not slowing down.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 09:46:23 PM »
    I hope there will be like this very soon. I will spend my money to avail this one just to make sure of my internet is not slowing down.
    Let me clarify some things. A Gigabit Internet will not solve the current issues most of use are having. I never intended to give ghat impression. A gigabit network connection is seldom, if ever, needed by the average person.

The present Wi-Fi devices most people have have a max of 54 mega bits per second, Some can do twice that speed. But no Internet Service Provider y offers that kind of speed. (Exception is Satellite, which is too rich for most of us **.)

Now why did the FCC announce  better Wi-Fi? Well, to make it easier for people  to get connections in large outdoor areas with mobile devices. More bandwidth and more power makes the 5 GHz band a better choice for new computers and routers. The 5 GHz band has been under used when compared to the crowded 2.4 GHz band.

Wait. There is more. AY&T said they would bring Gigabit Internet to all of  part of Silicon Valley, the city of Cupertino. They say they will use fiber optic.

First the FCC, then AT&T make promises. Coincidence? I don't think so, and that is not an isolated opinion.  Think about it. What is the fuss about something few people really need? It is not a fix for the present slow performance of the Internet.

It was not my intent to endorse  a premature  proclamation. It will take a long time for the Internet to speed up. Time will tell if AT&T can really do  what people expect.

** Hugues claims they can do 50 Mbps download.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:07:43 PM by Geek-9pm »

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »
    What you posted was not related to the speed of global internet connections, it was about the speed of WiFi networks which is totally different, if it has just been left at "WiFi is soon going to be available at Gigabit speeds" and possibly expanded to "This will mean that WiFi connections will be able to handle streaming media better" that would have been fine but you took it down the line of "Gigabit WiFi will allow internet connections to consumers to reach Gigabit speeds."

The present Wi-Fi devices most people have have a max of 54 mega bits per second
    I'd say most WiFi devices now are Wireless N and have been for quite some time, this can do at least 150mbps.

But no Internet Service Provider y offers that kind of speed. (Exception is Satellite, which is too rich for most of us **.)
    Maybe where you are you cannot get connections that fast, but in other places (such as in the UK where 150mbps is common and fairly affordable) connections over 54mbps are very common, and cheap.  Satellite is not an exception, it is built for connections in remote areas, not for performance, the latency on Satellite connections makes it almost unusable for a lot of tasks and very uncomfortable for most.

I'm in the UK and pay £20/mo for my FTTC/vDSL connection:

It may not be affordable where you are, but in other places it is, Wireless G would not be suitable for this at all.

It is not a fix for the present slow performance of the Internet.
    What slow performance of the internet?  The internet isn't a physical thing that has a set speed, your transfer can go as fast as the connection between you and the server, most servers now are on at least 100mbps connections.  On my current ~80mbps connection and even on my previous 100mbps connection I could easily get almost my maximum speed from a lot of servers.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »
    Your  point  is well made.
    Many parts of the world have much better ISP service.
    Here in the USA real  high-speed Internet is not as greedily available.
    My conne3ction is, by measurement, about 6Mb s over DSL. Yest serveral times a day I get timeouts and broken connections. Speed has less meaning g if you have to stoop and made repairs. My DSL modem eventually corrects the problem. So the rated speed is misleading at best.

Of interest,  Australia has 100 Mbps service is many big metropolitan areas. It is by fiber. Reports for some users say it is dater than  what the Global network delivers. Some say it is by a factor of ten. That sacks.

Now about Gigabit Internet. The term has been used by the big companies in there advertising to encourage people  to open up the path for fiver optical distribution in reside4ntial neighbor hoods. Politicians and others hacve given the compoanies to dig up the streests or string cables or share tunnels so the fibber network can be installed. Not far from where I live they tore up a secdtio9n of land to install fiver. That was some  time ago. There still is no fiber service anywhere is the suburb. Of course I do not live in Cupertino.

AT&T had made a big announcement that they would put fiber in Cupertino. To date, nobody there is claiming the present service is good enough. Think about it. Who needs Gigabit Internet service?  Most movies are now streamed, not downloaded. 

So why did AT&T make a big thing about Gigabit Internet to the home? IMHO it is just an attem
     to get people to pay for the investment the company has made. Yest the fiber system has already paid for itself with non-internet services.

As you stated,  the Wi-Fi with gigabit can be used for devices in the home that do not support a physical Ethernet cable.

Here is something also of interest.
    Comcast opens WiFi network to all after Northern California quake

I am not sure what this means. It would seem that Co9mcast can use Wi-Fi outside a the house. No, not gigabit. But Wi-Fi outside of a house or biding.

For the record, microwaves are not limited to line of sight. That is a myth. The limitations are the regulations.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
    This might be news. But it has the taste of WAR.
    (Maybe WAR is a new acronym for Wi-Fi Against my Rival.)
    Google is going to give away free Wi-Fi. Possibly t o stifle AT&T and anybody else from the Gigabit turf.

Here is the story:
    In the fiber wars, Google may be adding Wi-Fi to its gigabit cities

If it is standard Wi-Fi, one  could get about 50 Mbps in from the Internet while sitting on park bench in the uptown area. That would kill the prospect of DSL service in some ares. DSL falters at about 20Mbps. Or less.
    Recent FCC rule changes allows more power to be used by a Wi-Fi in an outdoor area.

To be continued...   ;D

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 10:54:23 PM »
    Recent news about Super Fast Wi=Fi
    Microsoft brings super-fast WiFi to Seattle Center using TV 'white space'

The title says it all. Not soon, not t next month. Now.

Click on the link above and find the video at the end of the page.