Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Turns off Randomly and is not able to power up for many hours  (Read 2919 times)

lbluefishl

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows 7 Home Premium
     Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ
    WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive
    Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ
    EVGA GeForce GTX760
    SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V 80
    Corsair Liquid CPU cooler

I've had this computer for around a year. I've reapplied thermal paste, cleaned out dust, checked that the temperatures never reached over 70C, checked for malware and viruses, and updated all my drivers.

My computer turns off after 4-8 hours of usage, depending on how much programs I ran that particular time.

Initially, it simply happened when I turned off my computer. When I tried to turn it back on, the power button did not work. Nothing booted. What I did was unplug the PSU from the outlet for about 15 minutes and then plugged it back in. This turned it on.

From what I can remember, this process kept repeating with the time that I have to wait increasing. Recently, my computer has been shutting itself off, often in the middle of programs. I would have to wait around 8 hours or so before the power button works.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Turns off Randomly and is not able to power up for many hours
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:55:36 AM »
    Based on  the information you have provided, anything obvious with the components you use to build your computer.  is that it takes a period of time for this to happen. If it was an overheating problem, it should happen within a few minutes after you turn it on. In some cases, the graphics processor can overheat and cause the system to shut down. But this is usually a very rare occurrence.
    A more likely scenario is the power supply is starting to fail. Still, before you buy a new power supply, you need to check out some other possibilities.
    Do you have any other RAM, you can use? It is just possible that one RAM stick, or even both,. But that is even more rare, almost unheard of.
    Once in a while a component like a hard drive or a DVD-ROM drive can develop symptoms like that. They draw excessive current and force the power supply to shut down. But that is going to be hard to diagnose because, as you said, it takes several hours for the computer to shut down. The failure of a hard drive or DVD drive could cause the computer to fail right away. Once they warm up.
    So it would seem the power supply is the most likely cause.
    If you have a motherboard with a built-in you could try removing your video card and use just the internal video and see what happens.
    That's the best I can do.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »
    This certainly sounds like a power supply issue to me - Your best bet would be to see if you can borrow another one to try.  (If you can only get your hands on a lower wattage unit you could take the video card out and test just with the onboard graphics.)

Hopefully your current PSU is under warranty since it's pretty new.

Ganesh

Greenhorn

• nothing is imposible
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:17:38 AM »
    its motherboard problem. first clean proccessor and ram and try to start it. if it cant work, remove your newly added hardware and check to start. if it will be cant work please check your mother board.
    believe in your self

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 05:36:55 AM »
    its motherboard problem.
    And that is what we call jumping to conclusions.

The issue described is very common of a dying PSU, a lot more likely than the motherboard especially how leaving it unplugged for a while will allow it to boot up again.