Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Files keep deleting after computer shutdown.  (Read 4499 times)

VictorSierra

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Files keep deleting after computer shutdown.
    « on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
    Windows 7 - Ultimate Edition - 64-bit OS
    Service pack 1
    Alienware Aurora ALX
    Intel Core i7 CPU - 930 @ 2.80GHz    2.80GHz
    RAM - 12GB
    ---------
    Hard Drive: Intel SSD - 111GB
    Hard Drive: Two   ST95005620AS ATA - 500GB
    GPU: ATI Radeon 6900 HD
    No commercial protection (smart, I know)
    I still have all windows installation disks.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

While I've had many problems with this PC since I bought it in November 2011 I've never had this problem.

What happens is I will start up my computer and everything is fine. My games will update in Steam and other game launchers when I open them as they should.
    However when I shutdown my computer and go back into Steam, etc. I have to re-download all of the patches that I just installed before I shut down my computer.
    ---------------

This has happened ever since I reinstalled windows after getting tired of all of the clutter. I keep my OS and other vitals on my SSD drive and everything else (games, pictures, etc.) on my two other standard hard disk drives. Before I reinstalled I backed up all important files and the entirety of the SSD drive on a different HDD. After re-installation(and re-downloading all of my drivers), I noticed a lot of my programs were not even showing up in the programs list under the Control Panel. That was kind of expected although some programs like Photoshop don't even work now and need a reinstall. All games work but again they need to re-download updates every time I open them. Some of them 800MB +.
    ---------------

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Files keep deleting after computer shutdown.
    « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
    Possibly, you may be infected. Try the following steps below

Intel SSD - Check for updated firmware versions available and install the latest.
    Steam - Try reinstalling the software or check on their website support solutions or forums.
    System File Checker - run sfc /scannow to check for integrity errors.
    Malware/Virus Scan - Use your resident antivirus and Malwarebytes as initial steps for cleaning infections or go to the Malware/Spyware section of Computerhope. :)