Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggestion on RAMS  (Read 4410 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Suggestion on RAMS
    « on: November 03, 2005, 06:23:42 PM »
    Hi,

Recently, i have decided to buy another desktop. But i need some advice. Because i need a very high memory capacity for one of my application to run quicker, i don't know whether i should go for 2x512 M RAMs or just a single 1G RAM. What's the implication of having a single RAM only?

Is there any suggestion?

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      Re: Suggestion on RAMS
      « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »
      A single stick. It's cheaper, and if you want to upgrade later you can just add another bank instead of having to replace both (assuming you have only two slots). Performace wise, there's no real difference.
      There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 11:32:24 PM »
        Thank you, Hopester Doofus for your reply.

That's very helpful advice. But i'm not quite sure about the disadvantage of having a single stick. I heard that in the worst case scenario, having a single stick can be disastrous especially if it's broken or stuffed for some reason which means there is no other spare stick.

So there is no real difference between having a single stick(1G) and two sticks(2x512) as far as the performance is concerned, is there?

Thank you in advance

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 12:16:44 AM »
        Hi,

Recently, i have decided to buy another desktop. But i need some advice. Because i need a very high memory capacity for one of my application to run quicker, i don't know whether i should go for 2x512 M RAMs or just a single 1G RAM. What's the implication of having a single RAM only?

Is there any suggestion?

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you

Are you talking about Dual Channel memory?

I pasted this from a memory site.

What is Dual Channel mode?

The dual channel mode was introduced when the DDR memory came about.  This technology requires two matching pairs of memory modules to be installed so that that the system runs at optimal performance.  In dual channel mode, the effective bandwidth becomes twice the standard size, that is, if you have a Dual Channel PC3200, the peak bandwidth becomes 6.4GB/sec instead of 3.2GB/sec.  This is because the two sets of identical memory doubles the data paths that can be used simultaneously allowing data to move faster, minimizing time delays between read/write processes.  Before you upgrade, consult your system's specifications to verify if your motherboard supports the dual channel function.
         Fordtruckmaniac

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
          « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 12:17:22 AM »
          Disastrous is a strong word. Defective or failed RAM will have no effect on your data, and RAM failure rates are low, especially from a reputable manufacturer which includes a warranty.

It's a tradeoff. Performance is slightly better with two sticks, but what if you want to add more RAM later? If money's no object and you want to maximize performance, go with two sticks. If you want to save a couple of bucks and keep your options open down the road, go with one.

Keep this thread open and see what the rest of the gang here has to say.

:)

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 12:46:42 AM »
          I just learned of this "dual channel mode" myself.

I have a built computer that has a motherboard that supports this setup. I was looking into updgrading the memory and found it will take up to 3GB of RAM. It only has a single stick now with 256MB.

On mine it says you can use the dual channel by loading the sticks into two certain slots ( Mine has 3 slots) or use one certain slot or all three stick slots and then its not dual channel.

www.newegg.com has good prices on twin stick setups.
          « Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 12:49:16 AM by Fordtruckmaniac »
           Fordtruckmaniac

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 05:34:01 AM »
          I don't run dual channel, but RAM is fairly inexpensive today. (I remember when a 4 meg stick for my 386 was $164 though!) I would go with two if I had the capacity and further expansion seemed unnecessary (like not using Vista!)

Mac

Suggestion on RAMS
          « Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 10:10:50 AM »
          Go for dual channel mode and put 2 x 1024 MB modules in.

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 06:59:23 PM »
            Hi, Thanks a lot guys for your feedback.

However, just like to check with you people. Is it true that having a single stick of 1024 M RAM performs a lot faster in comparison with two sticks of 526 M RAMs theoretically. BTW, the motherboard i'm going to buy has 4 slots available for use. The price that i quotes so far is for a single 1M RAM $165 whereas 2x512 M are $130 in total. It's tempting to go for 2 of 512M.

Thank you all in advance

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 08:49:02 PM »
            Hi, Thanks a lot guys for your feedback.

However, just like to check with you people. Is it true that having a single stick of 1024 M RAM performs a lot faster in comparison with two sticks of 526 M RAMs theoretically. BTW, the motherboard i'm going to buy has 4 slots available for use. The price that i quotes so far is for a single 1M RAM $165 whereas 2x512 M are $130 in total. It's tempting to go for 2 of 512M.

Thank you all in advance

Wasn't this the original question several posts ago?

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
              « Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 09:16:49 PM »
              The application you're wanting to run should have the minimum and optimal hardware requirements listed in its specs. If you don't have the box it came in, you can find it on their website.

Buy two sticks and stop torturing yourself.

Fordtruckmaniac

Apprentice

• Yes
              « Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 11:40:40 PM »
              The price that i quotes so far is for a single 1M RAM $165 whereas 2x512 M are $130 in total. It's tempting to go for 2 of 512M.

Thank you all in advance

Go to www.newegg.com like I mentioned. They have brand name memory of many variations.

Go to the memory manufacturers web-site you are interested in using and get the specs on the memory and put these specs in NewEgg's memory system search.

Leave the manufacturer line set at "Any" and it will give you the info on all the brands they have with the specs your looking for.

Just for instance. 512MB of Crucial DDR PC3200 that will fit   the motherboard in my home built unit, is $63.99, on sale for $57.59 on their site and the same Crucial part # at newegg is $44.80.

I can double stick mine with 1GB DDR PC3200 (two 512's) of Kingston ValueRam for $79.91 @newegg.
              « Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 11:59:25 PM by Fordtruckmaniac »
               Fordtruckmaniac