Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless PCI adapter for Dell Optiplex 755 (usff)  (Read 5546 times)

billywim

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Wireless PCI adapter for Dell Optiplex 755 (usff)
    « on: September 15, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »
    I have a refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 (usff).  I wanted to upgrade it to wireless, so I downloaded a manual which said it was very simple--buy a PCI wireless adapter, install it into a PCI slot,and all would be good. I purchased a TP-Link adapter.  However, when I open computer case there is no slot as far as I can see. I am not a computer whiz, so maybe it is there but I cannot see it.  This computer is I think the smallest in the 755 series. So, despite the manual instructions, does this mean I cannot convert to wireless?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless PCI adapter for Dell Optiplex 755 (usff)
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »
    The Dell SFF computers do not have PCI slots. No room. But they make up for it with lots of USB slots  Two in from and five in back. A small USB adapte4re qwill work fine. I have used both the Ethernet and a wirelesses adapter on tghe Dell 7556 and the performance is good either way.

Images and prices of USB  wireless adapters.
    This is what you want.

If you get a big one, they tend to want to come out of the USB slot. If that happpens, use a bit of string to tie it up.

billywim

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Wireless PCI adapter for Dell Optiplex 755 (usff)
      « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:11:32 PM »
      Thank you, thank you, thank you...I will get one tomorrow and install.Thanks again!!