Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming Computer - Intel vs. AMD?  (Read 3435 times)

EzekialRitchie

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Gaming Computer - Intel vs. AMD?
    « on: September 16, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »
               Although Intel is said to be slightly better in terms of performance, what about in cost? I am building a new gaming PC and I want to ask, what is the difference? Is there much of a difference? I am on a really tight budget with this new Gaming Computer, but I have
    recently found that if I were to replace my AMD processor and AM3+ Motherboard, the total cost of my "Build" keeps getting higher.
    Please help. Is the extra money spent on Intel worth it? Or is the cheap AMD style builds the way to go?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Gaming Computer - Intel vs. AMD?
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
    AMD will cost you less.
    But Intel sells more
    Finding an objective review is not easy.
    This one comes close.
    http://www.toshiba.com/us/processor-guide

The reader should understand that for some applications neither would be suitable. The great majority of mobile devices are made with ARM  processors, which are very different from Intel and AMD.

Now as for gaming with Windows based gaming,  AMD is a very effective way to go. If cost is a factor, you go with AMD.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »
    Whats your budget...and whats your build ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

EzekialRitchie

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »
      I recently posted a question about what is now my old build asking whether or not my build would be suitable for running
      computer-intensive games (such as ARMA 3, Battlefield 4, etc.). I had a reply recommending to include an Intel core i5 processor and
      a different motherboard in my build but I wasn't sure that I wanted to include in it. So, I made up my mind to gather a whole new set of components to include in my PC Build.
      Here it is: http://pastebin.com/JzkNSj4Z
      Notice that I have not included a motherboard, CPU, or GPU because I wasn't sure of what to get in terms of those components. My budget is right around the $800-$900 price range. Also, if you wouldn't mind, please feel free to suggest any product that falls under these 3 categories (motherboard, GPU, CPU), and also, Thank you SOOO much for your time to give these helpful tips.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:18:02 PM by EzekialRitchie »

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:45:51 AM »
      In general Intel Core i5s and above are your best option for gaming so if you can afford them, go for that.  With AMD your best bet would be something like the FX-6300, although this performs worse than the i5, it is a lot cheaper.  For gaming the most important component is the video card so although I would strongly recommend going for some sort of i5, do not do this if it means that you can only afford a low end video card.

With AMD you need to take care with the motherboards, a lot of the cheaper ones (such as the one in your other thread) use very old chipsets that don't support even the most basic stuff you would expect in a modern PC such as native USB 3.0 and SATA III.  Therefore if you do go down the AMD route you need to make sure you get a more expensive board that has at least a 970 chipset.

Now looking back at your previous build - Yes moving it to AMD would be more expensive however that PC does have parts that you don't really need such as a liquid cooler and blu-ray drive.  Personally I would leave these out at least for now and use the money you save to get the Intel system.  It's easy to add better coolers and optical drives down the line when you have more money.