Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Questions about fixing dead computer.  (Read 3426 times)

harrisol

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Questions about fixing dead computer.
    « on: September 20, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »
    I own a Gateway DX4380G-uw308 desktop which came with Windows 8 installed.

I'm pretty certain that my motherboard and possibly the processor are fried.  The computer is barely more than a year old and I already had to send it in to have the MB, CPU, and HD replaced.  Now it is no longer under warranty and it has died again.  What I want to do is purchase a similar motherboard (and possibly the same processor) and swap it out.  There are just a few things I'm uncertain about and I hope someone can help.

1. Can I replace the motherboard/processor with one that is a step up?  AMD A75 to AMD A78 for example.

2. My version of windows that came with the PC is on the HD and does not have any recovery disks.  Will the version of windows on my HD work once it is plugged into a new motherboard?  If not, would it work if I purchased the exact same MB?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Questions about fixing dead computer.
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
    What follows are my own thoughts.
    Some time ago, well, many years ago, I own a Gateway. The computer  power supply went out and get wasted. They sent a new one.
     And after that the machine continue to work for one quite a while, and I eventually sold to somebody else. But I will not recommend Gateway to any. The reason is that the dream of Gateway has faded, and now the company is simply going out of business. Unless they come up with a very clever way to keep a small group of happy customers, they will have to drop out of the business and go do something else. Maybe they could go back to raising milk cows.
    At the present time, the major desktop computer companies are Dell and HP. ket. Also, you have to factor in two or three other companies.
    Most of the computers I have now are Dell computers that I purchased refurbished. I have also had Compaq,  IBM and HP computers.
    Now if you are satisfied with the monitor you got from Gateway, you could go by a refurbished computer from Dell for less money than what you would pay for a new motherboard and CPU. You can get a i3 computer refurbished from Dell for less than $300 and it will come with a HD ram & warranty. All you have to do is that a monitor, keyboard and the mouse. In my opinion, that would be a better investment than trying to find the motherboard that fulfill the case of the Gateway computer. As for the hard drive, you could use an extra hard drive for backup. If you pick the right case, you'll be able to put another hard drive in the same case, and thus have extra storage space and the foundation for a good backup plan. Unfortunately, the power supplies used in many Dell computers have a strange form factor and then not going to work in another machine and vice versa.
    So, simply put, my opinion is go out and buy a refurbished Dell computer and just use the leftovers from your Gateway.
    It's just too hard to try to match up the CPU and motherboard, unless you're really deep into hardware. I've been doing hardware for a long time, and I get messed up myself find get the right CPU and the right motherboard. So I quit trying. Of course, that's just me. Maybe you'll do better.
    BTW: A good refurbished desktop comes with a current version of Windows.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
    I don't understand why it's not still under warranty...normally they re-up it on replacement claims...
    You may wanna look into that...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

harrisol

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
      It seems the best route may be to buy a MB/CPU combo for around $150 and even a version of windows for 70-$80.  If I can simply replace the MB then it would cost less than $100. 

I will check into the warranty since they replaced so much but I did enter my S/N to check it and it said it wasn't.  Gateway support isn't very helpful.  Last time I had to pay to send the whole tower in to be fixed.  The only reason I bought a Gateway is because I like Acer and I thought Gateway would be better with them behind them.

I'm just hoping to find the cheapest way to get this computer running again.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
      If it were me i'd seriously consider cutting my losses and doin a completely new build...that's just me.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

harrisol

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »
        So far, I haven't spent anything (except the Shipping for the warranty repair) so I'm hoping someone can help me with the two questions I posed.  Is there a way to use the same OEM?  Or should I just buy a new motherboard/CPU and a new version of windows.  If I do get a new MB, I assume there won't be any problems with an upgrade since I'm purchasing a new version of windows.