Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer randomly shuts off.  (Read 3102 times)

InfamousMyzt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Computer randomly shuts off.
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
Hi guys, I built my PC around two years ago, didn't have a problem for a long time.

Build:
i7 3770K @ 3.5ghz
eVGA GTX 680 (factory OC)
16 GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 (4*4gb)
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Corsair HX750 Modular/Gold Cert

Starting a little over a month ago, my PC would randomly turn off and reboot ONLY when in high-req games like GW2/Contagion/etc. It would not crash in browser/VLC/even League of Legends or FTL. I should note that it was NOT overheating, my cpu temp was a little high (80C) however I could run Prime95 and hit 100C without an issue, and my cpu should not shut off until 105C. I could mine dogecoins and still not go over 75C.

After some testing, it looked like my RAM slot #1 was dead, as games were running seemingly fine with no RAM in that slot, so I RMA'd my motherboard. I also bought a new cpu fan just for the *censored* of it. I even reinstalled windows ENTIRELY, full wipe. Windows SFC found no problems, chkdsk found nothing wrong.

Got my new motherboard and cpu fan in, my temps dropped considerably and everything seemed fine. For two weeks. Last night my PC randomly shut off in firefox, not running any games at all. Today I tried running Contagion and my PC shut off within 10 seconds. My cpu temp was 45C when it shut off, wasn't checking my gpu at the time, but I'm sure it was under 60C with how long I was playing before it died.

At this point I don't know what the heck to do. I still have warranty on most parts, but fixing this is taking a lot of time, especially considering I had to yell at ASUS for 4 hours to get them to process an advanced RMA.

Any help would be awesome. Let me know if you need logs or tests or anything.
Skype - infamousmyzt

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Computer randomly shuts off.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Clean the event log.
Stat up the machine and play the game or program taught makes it stop.
Reboot and look at the event log. Report what went down.

InfamousMyzt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
Looked through, and there's no log at crash time other than on reboot "previous shutdown unexpected." Maybe your eyes can see more. Attaching logs for app and sys.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
Skype - infamousmyzt

blueriverbeat

Starter
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:44:09 AM »
    Hi guys, I built my PC around two years ago, didn't have a problem for a long time.

Build:
    i7 3770K @ 3.5ghz
    eVGA GTX 680 (factory OC)
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 (4*4gb)
    ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Corsair HX750 Modular/Gold Cert

Starting a little over a month ago, my PC would randomly turn off and reboot ONLY when in high-req games like GW2/Contagion/etc. It would not crash in browser/VLC/even League of Legends or FTL. I should note that it was NOT overheating, my cpu temp was a little high (80C) however I could run Prime95 and hit 100C without an issue, and my cpu should not shut off until 105C. I could mine dogecoins and still not go over 75C.

After some testing, it looked like my RAM slot #1 was dead, as games were running seemingly fine with no RAM in that slot, so I RMA'd my motherboard. I also bought a new cpu fan just for the *censored* of it. I even reinstalled windows ENTIRELY, full wipe. Windows SFC found no problems, chkdsk found nothing wrong.

Got my new motherboard and cpu fan in, my temps dropped considerably and everything seemed fine. For two weeks. Last night my PC randomly shut off in firefox, not running any games at all. Today I tried running Contagion and my PC shut off within 10 seconds. My cpu temp was 45C when it shut off, wasn't checking my gpu at the time, but I'm sure it was under 60C with how long I was playing before it died.

At this point I don't know what the heck to do. I still have warranty on most parts, but fixing this is taking a lot of time, especially considering I had to yell at ASUS for 4 hours to get them to process an advanced RMA.

Any help would be awesome. Let me know if you need logs or tests or anything.

Recently experienced a similar case and found out it was an issue with the power supply(apparently it was in the wrong voltage). When everything checks but still keeps shutting down and reboots then look for hardware issues.  It may or may not be the power supply but it's the first one that I would check.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:45:47 AM »
    I would remove graphic card and check with onboard graphics. And also check RAM sticks one by one with memtest

InfamousMyzt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:00:18 AM »
    Funny you mention that. Onboard doesn't work because of some glitch between my specific motherboard and CPU. Saw other people with the same issue. It's never worked.

The ram sticks, I did test. Slot 1 failed every time no matter which DIMM was in it, which is what led me to replacing my motherboard. However I guess that's not the issue. I'll be doing RAM tests with the new motherboard tonight though.

Doing an advanced RMA on my psu today. Hoping that's it. It's what I suspected, but I'm quite confused on why it worked for two weeks randomly...
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:30:40 AM by InfamousMyzt »
    Skype - infamousmyzt

InfamousMyzt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 03:23:13 PM »
    Just an update to anyone wondering: replaced power supply, and 4 days later my PC has crashed once already. Haven't been able to get it to crash again after that one, but I'm sure it's not fixed.

So I've eliminated: RAM/Motherboard/Cooling/Power Supply

Next RMA is my gpu I guess.
    Skype - infamousmyzt