Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 on HP pavilion 23-b231 (designed for W8)  (Read 4167 times)

ethan2743

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows 7 on HP pavilion 23-b231 (designed for W8)
    « on: September 24, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
    I modified/customized my HP pavilion 23-b231 to use windows 7 ultimate x64 instead of windows 8, worked fine/great until recently... I went to start it up the other day, and it won't boot. At first start up it brings me to menu with option to either repair windows (which I tried, but get an error message: a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.) or start windows normally.
    When I choose start normally it automatically takes me to windows repair and gives same error message.

I tried to boot from CD/USB and when I select repair your computer option, I get error msg: The version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair.

So I tried to Re-Install, and I get this error message:
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of GPT partition style.

But I already HAD it installed before, and functioning great...???

I do NOT want to re-format my hard drive and loose all my info/programs etc.

Can anybody help me with this problem?
    Or anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 7 on HP pavilion 23-b231 (designed for W8)
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
    Windows 8 uses GPT but can use MBR.
    Windows 7 uses MBR but can use GPT.
    GPT & MBR are partitioning schemes, not formatting schemes.
    You can Google the differences & the black hole you have fallen into.
    The BIOS & System Recovery are all expecting Windows 8.  Attempt a repair from the Windows 7 DVD, set DVD as 1st boot device.

The boot manager has become corrupted (don't know how) & needs repair.  This must be done outside of Windows.  Windows 8 might still be on the hard drive along with Windows 7.
    You can create a bootable CD of MiniTool Partition Wizard or AEOMI Partition Assistant which might be able to accomplish a repair.