Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win7hard drive in a win8 laptop is it possible?  (Read 3091 times)

marvzz23

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    win7hard drive in a win8 laptop is it possible?
    « on: October 10, 2014, 04:09:42 AM »
    "I have a samsung laptop that runs in windows7, I performed a clean format with it but unfortunately it goes out so bad, that I't would'nt boot my win7 installation cd(hoping for a 2nd try). so i came up with an Idea that i would insert my win7 hard drive temporarily in my win8 laptop so i can do the hard drive formatting there. But is it possible? "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: win7hard drive in a win8 laptop is it possible?
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 05:45:49 AM »
    What does "it goes out so bad" mean? Why can't you boot to your W7 dvd?

marvzz23

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »
      yes it can't and i got this unique error wherein the problem signature are 0.0.0.0/unknown

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
      If I understand what your asking, the answer is yes, you can connect the Win 7 hard drive to the Win 8 computer and format it.  However, I don't think that's what you really want to do.  You wish to re-install Win 7 on that hard drive and you can't do that while it's attached to the Win 8 computer.

You need to figure out why you can't boot from the Win 7 install dvd.  How old is the Win 7 computer?  If it's new enough, you may need to go into the BIOS settings to disable Secure Boot.  You also need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that it first tries to boot from the dvd drive.  Where did you get the Win 7 install dvd, is it something you downloaded off some obscure website or is it a genuine dvd that you are confident is good?  Can you boot that dvd on another machine?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
      Please start at the beginning. EXACTLY what happens when you try to boot to the W7 dvd?