Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 64-bit Technical Preview  (Read 7205 times)

Computer_Commando

Topic Starter

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 10 64-bit Technical Preview
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:02:08 AM »
I've been using this for about 10 days & I think it's going to be a winner.  It looks more like Windows 7 than Windows 8.  MS has admitted that Win8 was not the rave success they had hoped for.  Maybe that's why Microsoft skipped over calling the new version Windows 9?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

I'm booted to it now using a 3rd hard drive, boot selected from BIOS.  Only big issue was getting nVida drivers to install.  MS driver max resolution was 1280x800, monitor is 1600x900.

Used this procedure:
1.  Downloaded driver from NVidia.
2.  While booted to Win7-64, started install to get file folders extracted.
3.  Moved folders to Win10-64 TP.
4.  Booted to Win10-64 TP
5.  Opened Device Manager--Display Adapters--Microsoft General Driver---Update Driver
6.  Select NVidia folder.

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Windows 10 64-bit Technical Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 05:56:40 AM »
I have been testing it for about a week myself. Both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Only issues I have had so far are 2 older ( Pentium 4 and Pentium D ) computers and the EDIT command from command shell crashing on the 32 -bit with NTVDM problems.

I havent tested yet on new hardware, but BC tested the EDIT from command shell and it behaved for him.

Would I buy 10? ...... Probably Yes. However Windows 10 doesnt have any bells and whistles that 7 doesn't already have that I need, so there is "no urgency to have to upgrade".

I am hoping that when they release Windows 10 that they have some sort of incentive offer out there to get it as cheap as they were with Windows 8 when they were practically trying to give it away at $39 at one point for the upgrade edition.

Only complaint I have with 10 is that as far as stand alone offline use.... it definitely wasnt really designed to be run offline, so many features are broken offline because the features require online access. Additionally I am not a fan of having to use a Windows Live account to authenticate with my home computer. I still like the good old user name and password that is local.

When testing the 32-bit offline, where the Pentium D was never connected to a network or internet, it was nice that it was happy with a user name and password such as user Dave and password as ApplePie123

BUT with the Pentium 4 which was connected to the LAN and Internet, Windows 10 32-bit detected this at the get go and immediately wanted me to use Windows Live Account authentication with no option for a normal user name and password.

I havent tested yet what happens when introducing the offline system to network or internet connection as to if it will then default to wanting a Windows Live Account for local authentication and passthrough authentication of the web features on the cloud etc.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »
There is no requirement to use a MS Account in W10 (or W8 either).  I run all my Win 8 and Win 10 machines using local accounts.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »
There is no requirement to use a MS Account in W10 (or W8 either).  I run all my Win 8 and Win 10 machines using local accounts.

From my experience with Windows 8 after the 8.1 upgrade it is then that the default that Microsoft wants you to use is the Windows Live Account, and you then have to manually change it back to a normal local password that is not a Windows Live Account. I didnt see that they made it a choice to deselect the Windows Live Authentication with Windows 8.1 when upgrading.

As far as Windows 10, I didnt see any choice to use a normal user name and password on the system that was connected to the internet while installing 10. It seems like only the offline system automatically chose to go the route of local username and password, but that because an Internet connection was found with the other, it went the path of a mandatory Windows Live Account authentication.  :-\

So maybe with Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade as well as Windows 10, if a live internet connection is found its the default to make you create a Windows Live Account or use an already created Windows Live Account, but if you upgrade from 8 to 8.1 or install 10 clean with a system with no internet connection, it then defaults to a local "classic mode" username password.   :-\

Now I want to be home on my test system to connect that Offline Pentium D to the internet and see if it then wants to upgrade the authentication to Windows Live or if it will stick with a normal username password.  Very Curious if they are forcing it upon people to instead use the Windows Live Account for authentication.  :)

I also want to see if Windows 10 will install to Pentium III 1000Mhz Laptop with 768MB RAM even though the RAM doesnt meet the minimum requirements of 1GB and the GPU might also be missing from supported graphics chips given its age.

System requirements

Basically, if your PC can run Windows 8.1, you’re good to go. If you're not sure, don't worry—Windows will check your system to make sure it can install the preview.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

A Microsoft account and Internet access

Here is the link to the info: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq#faq=tab1

I like testing the hardware limitations of Windows OS's. Even if its not realistic to run a specific OS on such a slow CPU and limited RAM, its neat to know if it will work or not. I started doing this back in Windows 95 when installing Windows 95 to an old Everex 80386 SX 16Mhz with 4MB RAM, 512k VRAM Oakes Technology ISA VGA Card, and 80MB HDD that was a loud drive when the arm was moving inside with the heads on it. Windows 95 on this old beast tested around 1999 would just groan with hard drive activity for a good 3 minutes to load Windows 95 mainly because it was likely using a chunk of the drive as virtual memory for 95 to function with just 4MB RAM...LOL   This curiosity also pushes the limits of older hardware with newer games etc... such as lets see if a specific game will run with a very weak CPU, but powerful enough graphics card to render the games graphics etc in which the most common issue you run into is either the game pukes stating you need a better CPU or the BUS bandwidth limitations of a weak CPU are slowing the GPU down too much to function, etc.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
I keeps crashing on my end...
Brand new fresh install on a newer 500G HDD.
Gonna wipe it and try a new install.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »
During install, when prompted for MS account info, click "Create account".  On the next screen, near bottom of screen is the option "Use local account".  It's that way in both W8 & W10.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 06:40:17 AM »
During install, when prompted for MS account info, click "Create account".  On the next screen, near bottom of screen is the option "Use local account".  It's that way in both W8 & W10.

Ok... when prompted for MS Account Info... I gave the install my Windows Live Account credentials which I created for my WHS a couple years ago, and it ran with that without having to create a new 2nd Windows Live Account, since that is what I thought the Create Account was going to lead me to, with only option to create a Windows Live Account that I already have and dont need a 2nd Windows Live Account. I will blow away the install and reinstall to check this out. Thanks for pointing this out.  :)

Thanked++;   :)

halstead

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »
    I would like to give W10 preview a try but I want to know first the system requirement.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 03:09:38 AM »
    I would like to give W10 preview a try but I want to know first the system requirement.

Same as Windows 7/8.1

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »

As linked earlier in this thread...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq#faq=tab1

And as camerongray pointed out the same as 7 and 8/8.1. 

I have a Pentium III 1Ghz that I am going to try this on that is just shy of the 1GB RAM to see if it will install at all. It probably would be very laggy if it does work, but very curious as to if 1GB is the bare minimum or if it would function on less than 1GB such as with 768MB RAM.