Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thermal Armor, Dust Defender ... Really???  (Read 2897 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Thermal Armor, Dust Defender ... Really???
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
Looking at the daily deals on Newegg and Tiger Direct, I found this at Tiger Direct and found it interesting. To me it looks as if its just some inside the case bling as for its not air tight around the components to keep out 100% of the dust. I also have some concerns whether you would maintain proper airflow around other components on the board with them all shielded from dust as well as airflow, most importantly the Voltage Regulators and Capacitor Bank around the CPU.

Personally I wouldn't get this. As for with keeping up with dust problems its best to just open up the case and blow it out with canned air once every few months to keep from collecting serious dust deposits which would blanket in the heat as well as close up heat sink airways with cooling fans etc.

What do others think about this? If anything it can make an otherwise boring looking lower cost motherboard look cool with its carbon fiber like appearance, but the money wasted in this could have been applied to a better motherboard originally which looks better and might have better features and upgrade support..  :-\

Thermal Armor, Dust Defender

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8374068&CatId=184

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Thermal Armor, Dust Defender ... Really???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:11:19 PM »
That isn't a generic thing for any motherboard, it is designed for the ASUS Gryphon motherboards.  ASUS already offer the Sabertooth line with a similar idea of cover.  ASUS claim that it offers better airflow across the board however I don't really feel that it's a big benefit other than the looks.

Since that cover is designed for the appropriate board by ASUS I can't see it causing any damage however other than looks it doesn't really provide a big benefit.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
Or you could just make the whole case hermetically sealed --
- and fill it with  Olive Oil.  ;D

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:47:59 AM »
- and fill it with  Olive Oil.  ;D
Mineral oil...  ::)