Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Elgato Game Capture  (Read 4384 times)

fenboyinspain

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Help with Elgato Game Capture
    « on: October 17, 2014, 02:35:40 AM »
    Hi there,

My son has an Elgato game capture card but we do not have a laptop that works with it. The required system requirements are:

Windows 7, Windows 8 or later
    • 2.0 Ghz (or higher) dual core CPU, or 2.0 Ghz (or higher) multi-core i3, i5 or i7 CPU
    • Sound card
    • 4GB Total Installed RAM (or higher)
    • Built-in USB 2.0 port

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced laptop that meets these requirements?

Many thanks

Fenboyinspain

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help with Elgato Game Capture
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:41:23 AM »
    According to online reviews I have seen one person state that they had this running on a Pentium D capturing 59.96 frames per second. So processing power for this capture device doesnt have to be overly powerful. I think the biggest concern will be what games are played on the laptop to make sure that the CPU and most importantly the GPU is rated high enough to play the games. Pretty much any new dual-core system 2Ghz or faster with HDMI connection would work best with this device. The biggest concern is the games to be played to make sure you have a laptop that can play those games as well as potential of some future games that may demand more than the bare minimum of a current game so that your not stuck with a laptop that lasts 2 years and then having to buy a new one because the GPU is too weak.

When it comes to gaming I always suggest a desktop computer as for generally to support a longer lifespan of gaming its usually just a matter of upgrading a video card and keeping with the rest of the original computer. Desktop computers for gaming last on average 4 years before there is a real need to upgrade CPU or replace the system, and depending on the complexity of the game, a game such as World of Warcraft can still run on a 10 year old desktop if needed, although video settings may need to be set to below normal to have 30-40 frames per second. If playing older games, then just about any newer laptop or desktop should work, however before buying one run by us the make and model and what games are to be played on it and we can state if its a good match or offer a similar better model etc.

fenboyinspain

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:32:55 AM »
      Thanks Dave, great info.

As it happens, he plays the games on XBox and only uses the Elgato to 'capture' the info which he then puts on to You Tube.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:05 AM »
      oh ok... what type of budget do you have and is this laptop going to be used for any gaming or just web surfing and checking e-mail?