Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: '?A Program Not Found - Skipping Autocheck'  (Read 4255 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
'?A Program Not Found - Skipping Autocheck'
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
In the last two days, I've noticed I'm getting this message - very briefly - right before Windows loads:
Code: [Select]
?A Program Not Found - Skipping Autocheck
I've done a System Restore (my corp IT only keeps one restore point), and that has not fixed it.

All my Googling shows areas where either a) They can't boot at all, or b) it comes after a HD/partition; neither of which is my case.

Everything boots fine, just a weird message.

Thanks
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: '?A Program Not Found - Skipping Autocheck'
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
Which Windows version?   Did you do anything that could have caused the loss of files such as delete old data etc or did this show up on its own unexpectedly?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »
Did you use a Registry Cleaner app recently ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
Which Windows version?   Did you do anything that could have caused the loss of files such as delete old data etc or did this show up on its own unexpectedly?
Define "delete old data".... If you mean documents, files, etc., probably/likely. I don't recall running any undeletes or anything before first seeing this (I have undeleted a plug-in to my old Palm Desktop since then...)
Did you use a Registry Cleaner app recently ? ?
Since first seeing this, but not before that.

(I do have backups of my registry... I guess I could drop them into Word and do a "Compare Changes"?)

rjb
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Leave registry cleaners alone...they do more harm than good.

I suspect you'll find something in the compare.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
I keep receiving conflicting advice on that, patio.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:30 AM »
Not here...we're pretty much all on board with reg cleaners being useless...

Did the app you used automatically create a backup ? ?
If so revert to the backup and see if the error goes away...

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »
    Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
    The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
    Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
    Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
    Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
    The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why-i-dont-use-registry-cleaners/
http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i-need-a-registry-cleaner/

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »
Well, like I said, I ran CCleaner after I'd noticed the text pop up on screen. (I was trying to clean up after a bad uninstall of something that went awry after I'd noticed it, as well).

I noticed it for the first time last Thursday, but I don't spend a lot of time watching my computer boot, so I have no idea when it actually first started appearing.

I typically do not have CCleaner save registry copies, because I run an incremental backup nearly every night. That said, I won't have access to them until next Monday, so I will run the compare next week and see what comes up - and post it here.

Thanks.