Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireshark Problem!!!  (Read 4971 times)

Diganta28

Wireshark Problem!!!
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:00:03 PM »
I am using Micromax modem (MMX353G 3G USB modem) with aircel sim.When after connecting my modem I type cmd>ipconfig/all, my modem is listed as ppp adapter as given in the attachment.But when I try to use wireshark (to capture packets), I do not get my adapter listed.How can I overcome this problem??
Plz help me soon...(Note :I am starting wireshark with administrator privileges and all user permissions)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Wireshark Problem!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »
Some of use do not know why anybody needs wireshark  at home. Like myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark
Wireshark is a free and open-source packet analyzer. It is used for network troubleshooting, analysis, software and communications protocol development, and education. Originally named Ethereal, in May 2006 the project was renamed Wireshark due to trademark issues.[3]
Well, that sounds simple enough.
However, there are some details you can not ignore.
Wireshark allows the user to put network interface controllers that support promiscuous mode into that mode, in order to see all traffic visible on that interface, not just traffic addressed to one of the interface's configured addresses and broadcast/multicast traffic. However, when capturing with a packet analyzer in promiscuous mode on a port on a network switch, not all of the traffic travelling through the switch will necessarily be sent to the port on which the capture is being done, so capturing in promiscuous mode will not necessarily be sufficient to see all traffic on the network. Port mirroring or various network taps extend capture to any point on the network. Simple passive taps are extremely resistant to tampering[citation needed].
In computer networking, promiscuous mode or promisc mode is a mode for a wired network interface controller or wireless network interface controller that causes the controller to pass all traffic it receives to the central processing unit rather than passing only the frames that the controller is intended to receive.

Sorry I can not help. I put this here to clarify what you intend. In short, doing a capture of packets is not easy. This kind of thing is often used for evil ends. So it may not be possible for Computer Hope to help you with this unless you can convince some here  that your need is legitimate.  :)
No, I am not saying   you are a bad guy.  This forum is rather strict about the deep dark  things of networking.

Diganta28

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:00:41 AM »
I am not using wireshark for evil purposes as I am intending to capture packets coming to my pc only and not to other's pc

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:45:16 AM »
OK, that sounds good. There are lots of tutorials about using
Wireshark can read packets off of your Ethernet connection.
Here is a very basic tutorial  on YouTube. Did you already see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHLTa29iovU
Hope that is of some help.
Also, search for 'Wireshark tutorials' and find lots of stuff.

Diganta28

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:48:55 AM »
But I am not able to see my ppp Aircel Adapter listed (I can use wireshark)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 12:55:23 AM »
Don't try. Just get the stuff from the Ethernet connection. You use Ethernet to connect to the adapter, - Right?
Just look at the Ethernet stuff. Ignore the PPP stuff.

Diganta28

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 01:15:59 AM »
No I do not use any ethernet stuff.I only use my modem to conect to the internet and after connecting my modem is listed as ppp adapter.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
Please give more information.
What PC do you have?
 Is that modem part of the computer?
Is in inside the computer? I
f it is an external modem, it must connect to the PC using either serial, USB,  Fire-wire or Ethernet.

Where is the modem?
How does it connect to the PC?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »
When installing Wireshark did you allow for WinPcap to install? If you didnt then this may be your problem. Its an optional install as part of the Wireshark install. Additionally WinPcap also has to be version 3.1 or newer to support PPP protocol. More info here: http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/PPP

Diganta28

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:00:40 AM »
Please give more information.
What PC do you have?
 Is that modem part of the computer?
Is in inside the computer? I
f it is an external modem, it must connect to the PC using either serial, USB,  Fire-wire or Ethernet.

Where is the modem?
How does it connect to the PC?

I am using external modem and it connects using USB (Win xp Modem :- MICROMAX MMX353G 3G)

Base10

Beginner
    « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »
    Are you connecting to the adapter from your pc with an ethernet cable.  If so, as has been advised, you can ignore the adapter.  The reason or this is it will only show the interfaces on your computer not external devices.  This is because it is monitoring the traffic coming in to the interfaces on your machine, and in your case it will be the Ethernet interface.  To run in promiscuous mode I hope that you selected to install the "WinPcap" program that it should have prompted you to install when you installed WireShark.  If you didn't install it you won't be able to use promiscuous mode and will have to reinstall the program.

Cheers,
    B10 :)

Base10

Beginner
      « Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
      Same principle with usb connecting.  it will only look at the interfaces on your machine and monitor the traffic on them.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »
      Base10 is right.
      Ignore the PPP question you had.
      Select one of the devices found. Try local connection #2 for a stat.
      If that is not it, try any connection the program finds.