Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I accidently saved a .txt file with different text and need the old version back  (Read 5196 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Alright. So I tend to write information like math formulas and instructions down. What I do is I write this all down into notepad and save the file as a .txt file in a folder. When I'm done with that, I delete the contents and move on to the next question.

However; I accidently made a mistake. After finally finishing a very long 4 part series. I accidently hit save instead of save as. Because my process is me deleting the contents of the old notepad file and then doing this. What it did was overwrite the text instructions in the txt file instead of creating a new copy with the new instructions. I don't have file history turned on and I cant configure it. Is there anyway to get this old version back? It's highly important and I don't think I can write it out again.
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Don't close the file.
    Now do the save as.
    Next use the UNDO.
    It is in the Edit menu.
    Keep going back until you get the original text back.
    Save it with a new name.
    EDIT:
    Sorry, just found out that  Notepad has on one level of undo .  :'(

Next time, use a different tool that does auto backups for you. Or allows several files in one instance.
    10 Free Notepad Replacements for Windows 7
    NotepadTabs is a basic Notepad replacement which lets you view multiple text files in a single notepad and easily switch from one file to another through tabs at the top of the frame.
    « Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:35:05 PM by Geek-9pm »

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
      Don't close the file.
      Now do the save as.
      Next use the UNDO.
      It is in the Edit menu.
      Keep going back until you get the original text back.
      Save it with a new name.
      EDIT:
      Sorry, just found out that  Notepad has on one level of undo .  :'(

Next time, use a different tool that does auto backups for you. Or allows several files in one instance.
      10 Free Notepad Replacements for Windows 7

Yeah, I figured. Was a lot of work lost. I think there might be a way to go through it again and re-write it out. It'll take awhile, but I think I can do it. Appreciate the links for notepad alternatives. I've been using notepad because it's simple and lightweight, so theres not much to it but effective. I write down instructions on how to do a certain problem as I'm doing it to make it easier to refer to later so a tool perfect for that will definitely help. Sadly I wish I could edit the hotkeys for the program =(

We could probably just consider this solved then. Didn't there used to be a button for that?
      Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      Yeah, don't know whee it went.

BTW: You can create special hot keys for many programs. On the search box above you can enter 'Auto Hot Key' and find info about that and other keyboard macro  scripts chandeliers.
      Or see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey
      I use one called 'Key text' because I  have trouble with passwords. I have about 60 or so loins on hot keys.  :)