Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing Macbook Mid-2007 CPU Fan - which fan?  (Read 2582 times)

GreenMan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Replacing Macbook Mid-2007 CPU Fan - which fan?
    « on: October 26, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »
    I have a client who needs their Macbook Mid-2007 CPU fan replaced. It is very noisy. I have opened it up and cleaned away excessive dust hoping something was just lodged in there. However, after putting it all back together, although the loud sound went away for half an hour...it came back. It needs to be replaced I believe.

I called local shops in my town, they all get their replacement fans from overseas. None would simply sell me the fan, they wanted to install it too. So, that leaves me to order one offline.

After looking on ebay, there are lots of fans...but my question is which one to get?
    As you can see in this auction for example, I see there are 2 types of fans...one has a larger connector than the other...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-A1181-13-2006-2007-Original-Lufter-Fan-922-7372-922-7887-0Ij-/141447894412?pt=DE_Computer_CPUs_K%C3%BChler_CPU_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item20eef3958c

The Macbook I'm working on has no model number, just a serial number. When I type it in on Apple.com I get this:

~[CUSTOMERNAME],MACBOOK (13-INCH MID 2007)

Can I get any old fan, or will the connector be the decider? Is there anything (i.e fan brand) to watch out for? I don't want a cheap knock-off that will die soon.

Thanks, Greenman.