Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for a place that will build me a cheap gaming PC  (Read 2771 times)

JAJsangel

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    Looking for a place that will build me a cheap gaming PC
    « on: October 26, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »
    Operating System
       Windows 8.1 64-bit
    CPU
       AMD A4/A6   
       Kabini 28nm Technology
    RAM
       8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-10-24)
    Motherboard
       Gateway SX2185 (P0)
    Graphics
       E2041 (1600x900@60Hz)
       512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8240 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])

If I can use any parts from this one and that would help I would certainly be willing to do that though I know it would void my warranty if I messed it up.
    Apparently I found out my processor sucks and if I replace it that means I have to replace the motherboard. Is it worth it? Though a friend says I should keep this one for my surveys and GPT because if I get a quality computer don't do any of that stuff on it.

The only thing I want it for is Sims 3 and the expansions but afraid to get more expansions unless my processor was better. Also I found a work at home job that requires a better processor so if I can game and work too that'd be great.

I don't know what stores would do that. I looked in the yellow pages but am still confused. I don't know if I could build my own. It sounds rather complicated.

My budget is 600 unless PayPal decides to get me back my 300. I would think that shouldn't be too hard because Sims 3 seemed to work fine on my old (___) which was about 600 at Best Buy but I don't know if I can get the same computer when that was years ago?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:31:44 AM by patio »

ajb522

Rookie
      Re: Looking for a place that will build me a cheap gaming PC
      « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
      How familiar are you with computers and their hardware? Do you want to build a new PC, buy a new PC, or replacing components on an existing one? $600 for a "gaming" PC is a bit low, although if it is just for casual/lighter gaming that's doable. Many things to consider.

If you plan on replacing parts or building a computer you should do plenty of research and learn as much as possible before you build; same with replacing parts yourself. buying a new one requires you to have some knowledge but less than building.

ajb522

Rookie
        Re: Looking for a place that will build me a cheap gaming PC
        « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
        The one thing I can say is graphics cards are a very important part to gaming and other "visual" things. Then you want a CPU that won't bottleneck your GPU. You want a mobo that is compatible with those 2 things. You want a decent amount of RAM (I would say 4+Gb). A large enough HDD is important but unless you buy a really small one its hard to overuse. Newegg.com and PCpartpicker are two websites I use to do research and look for some of the best prices. Personally I would go Intel but AMD works fine too. AMD is cheaper usually but does have quite a large fanbase.