Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD boots UBUNTU but not Windows in any form  (Read 2907 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

• Experience: Expert
    DVD boots UBUNTU but not Windows in any form
    « on: October 30, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »
    Trying to fix a Toshiba that wont boot off the HD.  Bios finds both HD and DVD.  When I put in any version of windows boot disk (xp/W7), I get a "media failed" message and no boot.  The machine obviously spends some time reading the dvd.  I had a couple of versions of Ubuntu installation disks.  BOTH of these disks will boot the machine.

I am assuming I have some strange problem with the DVD, but have never seen something like this before.  I have ordered a replacement DVD for this laptop, but am baffled how it could boot one OS and not the other.

Any ideas.  I'm just curious since I have never seen anything like this.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DVD boots UBUNTU but not Windows in any form
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:51:47 AM »
    Do these windows discs work fine in other computers? ( this will test if its a damaged disc etc )

Do you have an external optical drive to bypass the (could be troubled) internal optical laptop drive and try to boot off the windows discs with if the discs are good?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: DVD boots UBUNTU but not Windows in any form
    « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
    What exactly does it say on these Win CD's...or are they the "Sharpie" versions ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "