Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MariaDB from MySQL Migration  (Read 2492 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
MariaDB from MySQL Migration
« on: November 01, 2014, 05:34:57 AM »
Anyone know of pros and cons to migration to MariaDB from MySQL?

I attempted a migration last night and it killed MySQL and MariaDB errored out. It got to the part where you point it to the MySQL database and it is suppose to read in the info and migrate, and then it came up with an error. I then went to see if MySQL was still running and MySQL service was stopped. I performed a Net Start MySQL and it errored out. Rebooted computer, and tried again and same issue. Uninstalled MariaDB and MySQL 5.1, and called it a night vs getting sucked into a time consuming process when I need to be sleeping.

I was going from MySQL 5.1 to MariaDB 10.0.14  x86 32-bit for Windows MSI. ( * Maybe I need to upgrade MySQL to a newer version before the migration to avoid the error??? )

The good thing is that I performed a backup of my database before this and so I can get it back up and running on MySQL 5.1 which I have used without upgrading for a few years.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: MariaDB from MySQL Migration
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »
I think I found the answer finally. I wasnt looking into Linux info and so I skipped over this. But It looks like there is a migration path to follow to be successful and you cant skip/jump from MySQL 5.1 to MariaDB 10.0.14 as seen here:

http://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-upgrade-mysql-5-1-to-mariadb-10-0-on-centos-6/

Also wasnt aware that MariaDB say version 5.5 is based on the same binaries of MySQL 5.5, and so I just need to follow a specific upgrade path and I should be good and I cant jump from MySQL 5.1 to MariaDB 10.0.14. The good thing is that MariaDB 5.5 which is needed for this upgrade path is still readily available here.... 3rd down on the list: https://downloads.mariadb.org/