Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is it worth replacing parts or just give up  (Read 2735 times)

kathy517

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    is it worth replacing parts or just give up
    « on: November 04, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
    hi , I have an older HP pc.I have a new Nvidia video card ,plenty of power and a new hard drive. It still runs slow when trying to play games , freezes up or occasionally I get a blue screen . Not sure what to replace next. I guess the bottom line is that it needs to be a gaming compatible pc. Trying to figure out if I need a better processor and if so would it work with an older motherboard ? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)
    processor is AMD Athlon x2 dual core 5600 + 2.8 Ghz
    RAM 2 gb
    Video card Ge Force GT 640
    Win7 ultimate 64 bit
    motherboard micro ATX

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: is it worth replacing parts or just give up
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
    It is very hard for a home user to verify a motherboard. There are just two many parts that could go bad with no or little visible sign.
    Do you know how old the Desktop is? Before 2006, more or less, there is not much you can do to upgrade. After that year some significant changes were made in desktop designs. Mostly for better.
    "A few of the ready made Desktops were fair game machines with a little work."
    - From the comments of others. I don't really know of a  standard desktop was ever a good game machine.

If you have a very modest budget, you might think about  a used console instead of a PC. See if any of your friends will trad you the HP for a console.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
    hi , I have an older HP pc.I have a new Nvidia video card ,plenty of power and a new hard drive. It still runs slow when trying to play games , freezes up or occasionally I get a blue screen . Not sure what to replace next. I guess the bottom line is that it needs to be a gaming compatible pc. Trying to figure out if I need a better processor and if so would it work with an older motherboard ? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)
    processor is AMD Athlon x2 dual core 5600 + 2.8 Ghz
    RAM 2 gb
    Video card Ge Force GT 640
    Win7 ultimate 64 bit
    motherboard micro ATX
    2GB RAM is not enough for Win7-64bit.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:59:13 AM »
    2GB RAM is not enough for Win7-64bit.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements
    CC, that link doesn't support your comment.  It says "1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)".  I know what you meant.  You meant 2GB is not enough RAM to run Win7-64bit well for a good many users, and I agree.