Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: First Custom Build - Advice Requested  (Read 2356 times)

Pete171

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    First Custom Build - Advice Requested
    « on: November 17, 2014, 01:34:09 PM »

I'm a first time custom builder.  I know a little about general CPU operation but almost nothing about any other hardware components.  The PC will be used for various tasks: some software development (LAMP stack and probably an Ubuntu Virtual Machine); some 3D modelling/rendering (hobbyist - so just amateur level stuff in Blender); and some gaming (both new and old releases).

I've decided on the components listed here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fB77yc

Purchasing all components from ebuyer.com - no shopping around - would cost c. £1450 GBP ($2268 USD).  I don't want to spend more than this; I'd rather be spending nearer £1000 GBP ($1564 USD).  Bottom line, though, spending up to £1450 is possible.

I'm hoping this build will last c. 7 years (as did the build I'm now 'retiring').

Please could anyone spare the time to review the chosen components and let me know if:
    1 - They are compatible.
    2 - There are any reasons why I should reconsider some (or all) of the components.

Any advice would be really appreciated.  :)

Thanks,
    Pete

ajb522

Rookie
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: First Custom Build - Advice Requested
      « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:11:56 PM »
      I don't know much about what you will be using the system for but personally, I wouldn't get the 6-core CPU. Quad cores are powerful and fairly efficient. When I see 6 or 8 core CPU's, I think servers or something like that. I am a build noob too though xP

Pete171

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:26:48 AM »
        Thanks for the feedback. :)

I ended up with this build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Pete171/saved/4bpV3C

ajb522

Rookie
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
          No problem, do you plan on upgrading later (GPU SLI, etc)? If so make sure the mobo has enough PCIe slots for that and the PSU can handle the second GPU. Otherwise the hardware looks fine to me (again a noob as well). I am fairly uneducated about the cooling and heatsinks though. You will most likely need to get other opinions on that.