Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mini Keyboards, Any suggestions?  (Read 2976 times)

Gonz!

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Mini Keyboards, Any suggestions?
    « on: November 03, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
    Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing awesome.

Let me start by saying this is not an emergency.
    I'm asking for suggestions from you all out there regarding the following:

I have an old desktop (Dell Optiplex 755 runing Wondows 7) that I use as an entertainment center, Hooked up to a TV, and that I use mainly for Youtubing, and watching movies on nexflix, etc.

The machine itself is actually irrelevant, what I want to know is regarding these llittle wireless keyboards/Touchpads that are out there.  I used to have one that I absolutely loved right up until the momento when it stopped working.  I need your input on buying another one.  I've looked a few up, and so far the ones that have struck me as aceptable have been these:

http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Touchpad-Keyboard-Android/dp/B00JO80LUI/ref=pd_sim_pc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=17BBF3E6MMYWB1PW8S2N

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJAS96A?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/LOFREE-2-4GHz-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows/dp/B00EOFFO26/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415058136&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+touch+panel+keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGMG3SK?psc=1

They all have their good and not so good points.  I want backlit (For night-time viewing), but I also love the big surface on the on that is touch panel...
    So there you have it. Can any of  you point me in the right direction? 

This one (Just FYI) is pretty much exactly like the one that broke on me, in some Brand I can't even remember:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGMG3SK?psc=1 

Maybe you guys have experience with these gadgets, and might want to help a fellow gadgeteer out...
    You know what brands / Model types I can get to ensure durability withough coughing up a ridiculous amount of money.
    There used to be one that kind of looked like a Blackbberry, but instead of a screen it had the touchpad there...  that would be awesome, but I havenīt been able to find that one.  :(

AAAAAAAND, GO!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Mini Keyboards, Any suggestions?
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
    Any particular reason you need something tiny, they tend to be fiddly to use?  I have a pair of Logitech K400s, they are decently sized so you can type properly on them but are hardly massive and work brilliantly.

I'd also suggest getting one that has its own dongle rather than a bluetooth one - Bluetooth tends to be pretty temperamental, dongles tend to just work.

Gonz!

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »
      No Reason in particular why I need such a small keyboard, other than I basically use that computer as an entertainment center, and a big bulky keyboard and moue just don't look o well. The ones I posted are about the size of a remote, which suit me fine.  I'm just not so sure about quality.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
      On Amazon they have some user reviews. That may give you some idea of the quality for the devices. The prices seem to be very reasonable.
      Some comments for item :
      Aerb Multifunction 2.4 G Mini Wireless Keyboard & Infrared Remote Control & 3-Gyro + 3-Gsensor W USB Wireless.
      I like it and is great when using the phone as a movie player with the HDMI cable plugged in which is at the TV so you can use the like a remote/mouse/keyboard.
      fsum242|25reviewers made a similar statement
      In fact, there are mouse buttons at the top left and top right of the keypad that are very similar to the left and right buttons on a game controller.
      Steve|23reviewers made a similar statement
      Testing • Build The buttons and feedback feel just right.
      Keyboard Remote Control - Amazon.com‎
      It seems that many people like that particular device in spite of the low price.
      It may be this is a case when price and quality do not go together;)

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »
      I used to have one of those small mini ones, it worked but it was a bit fiddly to use.  I can highly recommend the Logitech K400 keyboards (I have two of them), they are of course larger (Same size as a typical laptop keyboard with a touchpad on the side) however they are extremely usable since you can properly type two handed on it.

For the cheap ones on Amazon your only real option are to read the user reviews - They are usually generic devices with very little in the ways of professional reviews.