Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scrolling lines on laptop when connected to TV through HDMI  (Read 2379 times)

alleygata

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Scrolling lines on laptop when connected to TV through HDMI
    « on: November 18, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »
    I'm in way over my head and hope I can get some help here. Recently my hard drive went out and I had it replaced with a solid state drive. The problem I'm having is when I hook up my Samsung Smart TV through an HDMI cable (also tried a new cable with same results) I get wavy, scrolling lines on my laptop that go away when I disconnect the cable. The lines don't show up on my TV and this didn't happen before having my computer repaired.

The Staples tech wants to charge me again for diagnosing it after paying over $270 for a diagnostics and replacement of the hard drive. He said it's not possible for it to be a problem with the new hard drive so it would be another charge even though it didn't do it before having it repaired and my computer reformatted. I'm concerned I'm going to burn something out if I keep using it this way but I also don't want to pay more if it's something simple. He said it could be the motherboard or graphics card but I'm not sure whether or not to trust him. I'm a senior with little technical knowledge.

I want to use an HDMI cable so I can watch Xfinity programming that's available online only. I can live with it doing this as long as it isn't hurting my computer. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

MSI Laptop - 3 years old
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3886 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1719 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114370 MB, Free - 84591 MB;
    Motherboard: Micro-Star International, A6200
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:43:38 PM by alleygata »