Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downgrading to Windows 7 from Windows 8.1 and using the same licence key.  (Read 5320 times)

JacobRocks12

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    I have been waiting so long to downgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, I really want to use an ISO file but the last time I tried to, it messed up a lot of drivers and Aero wasn't working on my dad's laptop. Is it possible to downgrade and still use the same licence key as the OS I use now? Also, can I have the official WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ISO?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    The downgrade path from 8 to Win7 is only if your ver. of Win 8 is Ultimate...
    Otherwise you will have to purchase Win7...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Downgrade rights for Windows 8 Pro require that the Windows 8 version be a preinstalled version. Retail Windows 8 Pro copies do not get downgrade rights.

Unfortunately "downgrade rights" are basically just what you tell the MS rep on the phone. As described here; basically, it means you are "allowed" to install a previous version of Windows from the original media and using the original product key. The downgrade rights merely mean that when activation fails (if that copy of Windows was installed elsewhere) you can call Microsoft and explain that you are exercising downgrade rights and get an activation code.

Basically, you'd do exactly what you already did.
    None of this will solve the issue you mentioned- you would have to find and download the drivers for the laptop. I'd do that first, and place them on a thumb drive or burn a disc with them on it before reinstalling Windows. That is assuming Windows 7 Drivers are available for the laptop. You'd have to look on the laptop manufacturer's support pages.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JacobRocks12

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Downgrade rights for Windows 8 Pro require that the Windows 8 version be a preinstalled version. Retail Windows 8 Pro copies do not get downgrade rights.

Unfortunately "downgrade rights" are basically just what you tell the MS rep on the phone. As described here; basically, it means you are "allowed" to install a previous version of Windows from the original media and using the original product key. The downgrade rights merely mean that when activation fails (if that copy of Windows was installed elsewhere) you can call Microsoft and explain that you are exercising downgrade rights and get an activation code.

Basically, you'd do exactly what you already did.
      None of this will solve the issue you mentioned- you would have to find and download the drivers for the laptop. I'd do that first, and place them on a thumb drive or burn a disc with them on it before reinstalling Windows. That is assuming Windows 7 Drivers are available for the laptop. You'd have to look on the laptop manufacturer's support pages.
      Thank you, you said that I own a laptop, currently I own a desktop. It did come pre-installed with Windows 8, not 8.1. Will this still work and can you also send me the official WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ISO file if you can?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      You cannot downgrade standard Windows 8 to Windows 7 Home Premium under the downgrade rights.  Downgrade rights only apply for Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Professional.