Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000 DVD burning problems  (Read 4419 times)

stalking_turkey

Windows 2000 DVD burning problems
« on: November 04, 2005, 10:18:01 PM »
Hello,

I had recently upgraded my OS from Win98SE to Windows 2000 (service pack 4). I burn Cds and DVDs regularly, and when i used to do it on Win98, it was done relatively fast, with nothing hindering it, in fact, usually i could burn a DVD, and while doing it, i could listen to Mp3s through my computer, or do other work, and the Burning speed hardly decreased and i never recieved errors. However, after I upgraded to Windows 2000, strange things began happening. I had also bought a new DVD/CD burner, a faster one, so the burning should have, theoretically, been faster, however, i experienced the opposite.

First off, while burning is going on, my CPU is completely consumed, disallowing me from doing anything else, my device-buffer started to erratically jump up and down (10%...90%...20%), and my writing and read speed seemed to decrease by half-speed or more. I figured this was the result of a defective drive, so i returned that one and bought a new one, of a different manufacturer, etc... but the same problems keep happening. I also used many different burning softwares, so i don't think that could be a problem. I also ran a Drive Speed tool from Nero, and it has told me, after performing tests that my dvd drive indeed cannot speed up past about half of the speed it is supposed to go, both writing and reading. Another strange thing, i have a second CD drive, but this is just a CD-R Drive for Reading CDs at 32X speed, and when i did a drive speed test on it also, the read speed didn't go higher than about 16X!. Now both of my drives are affected.

Could this be just a problem with Windows 2000 specifically, or is it something more...any suggestions?

GX1_Man

Re: Windows 2000 DVD burning problems
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:42:11 PM »
I have never heard of this. Windows 2000 has been a real workhorse of an OS. How much RAM and processor type?

Have you got DMA enabled? I'll bet that is the problem.

stalking_turkey

Re: Windows 2000 DVD burning problems
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 12:33:53 AM »
I don't think that RAM or processor type is the problem: 512MB RAM, AMD Athlon 2600+ 1.9 Ghz processor

However, i discovered that DMA was in fact, disabled. I enabled it for both drives, restarted the comp, etc...and the problem persists. By, the way, I always try to disable any unnecissary  processes like AntiVirus before attempting to burn a CD, so i don't think thats a problem. I also did virus scans, spyware/adware scans, and defragmented my harddrive, so i don't think that could be factored either.