Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need a decent Desktop Under 1k  (Read 2754 times)

Guest_55

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Need a decent Desktop Under 1k
    « on: November 17, 2014, 08:33:40 AM »
    Hi, I need help building a desktop that can run games like Sims 3 and Fallout 3 that is under 1k.

I require
    -large amount of HDD (at least 750gb, preferably 1tb)
    -A monitor, modest.
    -A cool looking glowing case is really preferred.

Not looking for a beast gamer computer, just something to get me through some modest games without issue.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GH8FJ

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need a decent Desktop Under 1k
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »
    Under $1000 (USD) to play those games well is easy to do, especially if you go with AMD instead of INTEL CPU. I have been buying mostly AMD CPU's for the past 6 years because of the price/performance ratio that is usually better than Intel, however AMD is currently playing catch up with Intel with their core design etc, and so at some point hopefully AMD will have benefits similar to those seen way back with the single core Athlon XP vs the single core Pentium 4 line in which the Athlon XP's were actually outperforming Intel in many situations, and Intel faught back with HT in the later Pentium 4's that gave the Pentium 4 a 2nd virtual core as well as other benefits that the Athlon XP didnt have until they came out with their Athlon 64 x2 line. Currently Intel holds 1st place and AMD is a close 2nd, although under certain applications AMD can outperform Intel. More info here: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/366/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4440.html

Also you can save money also if you buy parts on your own vs a cyberpower computer custom build, especially if you are able to use a current system build to avoid having to buy certain parts, although given the build you shared it looks like most of the hardware will have to be brand new.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »

Here is an alternative suggestion. This is not intended to be a contradiction of the above post, in fact, the above post is very good for home building.
    The alternative is to shop around and investigate locally and see if you can find somebody in your area. That's willing to sell them older gaming computer. They had put together. Usually private individuals will give you better deals on used components than going to a place like eBay and trying to get used material from big companies. One reason for this is that gaming computers tend to be a very small market and the resellers that resell stock computers are interested in a larger market.
    Now, having said that, you could do a kind of a hy-bred situation. Perhaps picking up the case and power supply from one source, and then maybe finding a very good motherboard from another source.
    If you find somebody that selling a brand name power supply, it probably still has plenty of life left in it. The high-quality power supplies will last for years before they have to be replaced.
    As for motherboards, even some made years ago can still be very good. It depends. Gigabyte would be your best choice . The AMD CPUs usually off for more performance for what you paid.
    In my opinion, buying from somebody in your own area is a lower risk than trying to buy something by mail order. But that is just my idea. It depends on where you live.
    That's all I have to say.

ajb522

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
      It would work if you build your own or buy a pre-built. If you build one it is cheaper but you will need research and knowledge to avoid compatibility issues, etc. A -pre-built needs less knowledge but is generally more expensive.
      Things you need:
      -a GPU with about 2Gb vRAM or more
      -a CPU of ~2.5GHz or more

If the computer has those two things with your HDD option you should be fine. To be honest I don't think there is  huge difference between AMD but personally I only trust Intel. AMD is good but I believe last I checked Intel had better performance per core and less bugs. I may be biased on that though :P So again if you buy a pre-built make sure those two things are included. If you build one, do lots of research and know what you are doing. As far as the case goes, practicality > looks.
      Ceck out PCpartpicker.com and newegg.com for good prices on parts, and some computers on newegg

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
      Things you need:
      -a GPU with about 2Gb vRAM or more
      -a CPU of ~2.5GHz or more
      That simplistic view hasn't worked for years.  Modern GPUs and CPUs have a lot more important differences than the VRAM and the clock speed.  Those requirements would be met by the 2.6GHz Celeron G1610 and the 2gb NVIDIA GeForce 610 however these would be totally underpowered for a gaming system.

For modern parts you need to look at where they lie in the overall lineup of CPUs as well as real world application benchmarks, the raw specs alone do not translate to real world performance.

ajb522

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »
        That simplistic view hasn't worked for years.  Modern GPUs and CPUs have a lot more important differences than the VRAM and the clock speed.  Those requirements would be met by the 2.6GHz Celeron G1610 and the 2gb NVIDIA GeForce 610 however these would be totally underpowered for a gaming system.

For modern parts you need to look at where they lie in the overall lineup of CPUs as well as real world application benchmarks, the raw specs alone do not translate to real world performance.

Valid point, always check benchmarks :) sorry haha I do that without thinking I suppose :P