Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor often not recognized on startup  (Read 4970 times)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Monitor often not recognized on startup
    « on: November 22, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »
    Often, but not always  ??? when I boot up my PC, the monitor doesn't get a signal. I have to then turn off PC, turn off monitor, unplug PC, monitor and HDMI cable between PC and monitor, wair a moment and plug everything back. Then it works fine. What needs to be set correctly?

I'm using: ASUS Z-87 Pro MB, Samsung monitor, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor often not recognized on startup
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
    unplug PC, monitor and HDMI cable between PC and monitor, wait a moment and plug everything back.

A simple reboot of these should fix this... Is disconnecting and reconnecting really necessary to get the display back?

I have had a picky video card before where if the display was turned off ( or ) KVM was set to another system as its focus and the system was booted, turning the monitor on after it was booted or switching the KVM focus to the system would just be a black screen. I also would hear a da-dunk sound on my sound for this system as Windows basically disconnected the video out on boot since it didnt see a display.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
    The OP might not get an easy solution.
    In a commercial operation they might  blame the monitor and get a monitor that does a better job of working with the OS.
    The other choice is to get a specific drive for that monitor the knows how to resolve the issue. The maker of the monitor  should have it available.

What is the exact model number of the monitor?

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
      A reboot doesn't fix the problem. What happens upon booting or rebooting - when the display doesn't get the signal - is that in the upper left of the monitor screen a small graphic of white letters toggles back and forth between "HDMI" and "Analog" every couple of seconds or so while the screen stays black. Every time when I disconnect all three cables and re-connect them, it boots up normally. I've tried every combination of the the three cables but all three must be disconnected and then re-connected before it works. And the weird thing is that this phenomenon doesn't happen every time I start up the computer - but it happens too often enough.

The monitor model is: Samsung S24D390HL.  What does OP mean?

The OP might not get an easy solution.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:59:53 AM »
      What does OP mean?

It's a common abbreviation used in forums, the first letters of "Original Poster", meaning the person who started the thread, in this case, you.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:21:21 AM »
      when the display doesn't get the signal - is that in the upper left of the monitor screen a small graphic of white letters toggles back and forth between "HDMI" and "Analog" every couple of seconds or so while the screen stays black.

This symptom would indicate it's the monitor...is it still under Warranty ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "