Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: rror code: 0x80070017".  (Read 3598 times)

mike

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    rror code: 0x80070017".
    « on: November 23, 2014, 06:03:59 AM »

I deleted all my hard drive partitions and formatted my hard drive to wipe it clean. Now when I try to install Windows 7 onto my computer, the DVD boots and the installation begins. The installation will complete the "Copying windows files" task in seconds, but sticks at 0% on "Expanding files" for about 30 seconds. I will then receive an error that reads "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the application. Error code: 0x80070017".

I researched this error but couldn't find a resolution. One suggestion was to download my hard drive's drivers onto a pen drive and load them in the installation, but this didn't help.

I also tried installing Windows Vista and received the same problem.

The error in this case has nothing to do with the copy. I have used many different Windows 7 builds, many different DVDs, burning at different speeds, all producing the same problem.

Only when using the Windows 7 RC disc I was asked to "load drivers" as a requirement. Other builds didn't require me to load drivers.

I really don't know what to do, I just want to get my computer up and running again

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: rror code: 0x80070017".
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
    Do you have a spare HDD to swap with this one to see if the system will take install to a different drive? I have had troubled hard drives act like this before.

For the fact that the OS at the install level detects and attempts to install Windows and its upon the expansion part that its failing, I dont believe it to be driver related, but related to the expansion failure in which a troubled drive is probably the cause.

Was this system crashed or having problems prior to this, and if so what problem specifically or was this just an attempt to wipe a system clean that was working perfectly fine prior?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: rror code: 0x80070017".
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
    Why use Win RC ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "