Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New tablet for Grandma  (Read 3098 times)

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
New tablet for Grandma
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:17 PM »
My Grandma doesn't barely use her laptop anymore, only for her genealogy. She has a nook and smartphone but she says she uses the nook for most everything (smartphone when out of the house) and is not practical for anything other then e-books... she needs one that she can go online with, Email, read her e-books on, and do her genealogy on... (she has a 10" nook HD Plus)  a digitizer and keyboard dock would be nice but not a requirement... it would most likely be a full windows 7 or 8 tablet

Suggestions?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: New tablet for Grandma
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »
Suggestions?
Yes, lots of those.
I am 76 years old and have used PCs for many years and now I find that I can not readily adapt to new stuff. It is like shooting at a moving target and you don't know which way it will move next. So I do believe it is hard for older persons to pick up on the new technology. Because is changes all the time.

But, if you think Grandma is OK with using a Windows tablet, then that is the way to go. But Windows 7 is a bad choice. Microsoft is putting all effort into making Windows 8.1 the best windows ever. Until summer of next year.
As seen of TV, the new Windows Surface is more adaptable that an Mac book.

You will be looking over the offerings of:
Acer,  Asus, Dell, HP, Microsoft, Sony, and Toshiba.
All above offer Windows 8.1, but it is hard to find any just like the Windows surface Pro. So you will have to decide.

If Grandma is OK using Windows, don't get her a Chrome book.

My feeling is that this is whats experts r will tell you.
EDIT:This is a very new review of the Surface Pro and similar things.
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-pro-3-1249750/review

Whitie III

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »
ya she does not need all the power in her laptop... her laptop is an acer with windows 8.1 and a touchscreen and has a low end intel i3 in it I believe.... maybe an i3 tablet or even a quad core Atom running full Windows 8.1 and not Windows RT would do her good?
Was looking at Lenovo's products

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 12:09:50 AM »
ya she does not need all the power in her laptop... her laptop is an acer with windows 8.1 and a touchscreen and has a low end intel i3 in it I believe.... maybe an i3 tablet or even a quad core Atom running full Windows 8.1 and not Windows RT would do her good?
Avoid RT. It is not going anywhere.
With Windows 8.1 new apps will be coming soon. I just found on the the apps I really like on my iPhone is now available for Windows 8.1 and I tried it. This has given me a more positive attitude about Windows 8.1 and now I am  willing to more up so I can have all the apps that the third-party people are going to produce.
For most of use old-timers, sped is not so important.  But we do like a good app that can bring use the information we need. An app that is easy and smooth and will interface well with other tools. One of the criticisms against Windows was the lack of free or low cost application programs tailored to specific needs. But that is now changing.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:46:31 AM »
My Grandma doesn't barely use her laptop anymore, only for her genealogy. She has a nook and smartphone but she says she uses the nook for most everything (smartphone when out of the house) and is not practical for anything other then e-books... she needs one that she can go online with, Email, read her e-books on, and do her genealogy on... (she has a 10" nook HD Plus)  a digitizer and keyboard dock would be nice but not a requirement... it would most likely be a full windows 7 or 8 tablet
Your first post is above.  Then ... you second post:
You seem to be contradicting yourself.  I can't make sense of it.  You've said she has a Windows 8.1 laptop with enough power for her normal usage, and yet you are asking for suggestions for a tablet running Win 8.1.  Is the objective here simply to get a smaller computer?  Does she want a light weight computer to take away from home?  I don't the point being made anywhere in your comments.  Or, are you saying she just wants a smaller device to carry around the house?