Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot up  (Read 7793 times)

Linda Dolan

Computer won't boot up
« on: November 04, 2005, 07:20:03 PM »
Last night while restarting my computer, it wouldn't boot up. It was making a grinding noise, that led everyone to believe my hard drive had crashed. We bought a new one today and installed it, the  computer still made the grinding noise when we turned it on. On further investigation, we discovered that when we unplugged the cable from the 3.5 floppy drive the grinding noise stopped.  However, the computer still will  not boot up. Any suggestions?  We aren't very tech savvy, but can follow basic directions! :-/

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Computer won't boot up
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 08:19:50 PM »
    Whats the specs of the pc. sounds like a fan has had it but need more info. If you take of the side cover where do you hear the Grinding noise comming from. Check the Power supply unit fan. Is this an old computer. When you say it wont boot do you get any beeps is the screen blank?.  More info of the computer is needed.
    « Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:44:55 PM by Frankie »

Linda Dolan

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 08:42:22 PM »
    We checked the fan, it's running fine. The grinding noise seems to be teh floppy drive, when we recconnect it the noise starts again, disconnect it and the noise is gone. But the computer still won't boot up. The computer was built by my son 2 years ago, has worked great until yesterday. Reading the invoice from the parts list, it has an AMD-zXP-2700+ 2.167 GHz, 333 MHz, FSB , hard drive is a  Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM ATA100, it lists the video card, the fan, the floppy drive, the CD-RW Burner,  and something called a 64MB GeForce 4 MX-440 8X AGP. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by specs. When we hit the power button, the lights come on, the fan comes on, the monitor stays black.

Frankie

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 08:51:58 PM »
      Ok so the monitor is blank even when the floppy drive is disconnected?. Or does it say theres an error. When you say blank do you mean Monitors black nothing there at all. if the monitor is blank try reseating your Graphics card and reinstall the drivers.
      « Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:11:45 PM by Frankie »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »
      Is the CPU fan working? Any beeping when you first turn it on.

Linda Dolan

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
      Monitor is black - nothing there at all. the cpu fan is working fine, there is no beeping at all when you turn it on.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 09:15:10 PM »
      Sounds like a nice machine,but the power supply is suspect. It needs to be changed out with a known working unit. If it boots that was it. If not, we can go from there.

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        « Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 09:21:43 PM »
        Sounds like a nice machine,but the power supply is suspect. It needs to be changed out with a known working unit. If it boots that was it. If not, we can go from there.

Side question: if the floppy drive is dead, and it's set as the first boot device, should a boot error message still display on screen?
        There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 09:45:38 PM »
          Does your mother board default to A drive if the bios is bad?
          You would need to check your mother board book to find out.

Frankie

Apprentice
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 10:20:51 PM »
            can you try another video Card. Are you sure the monitor is working try on another computer.

Linda dolan

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 10:23:34 PM »
            I finally reached my son (the builder of the computer) he had me try a few other things, and he suspects it is the power supply too. I don't have a spare so I will need to pick one up tomorrow.  Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. i will update when i try the new power supply.  Thanks!

Linda Dolan

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 09:40:52 AM »
            Changed the power supply - still won't boot up  - monitor is totally black still.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 09:51:52 AM »
            What about removing and reseating the video card? What about another video card to test with?

Linda Dolan

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 09:59:10 AM »
            Ok, hubby is removing and reseating video card now.

Linda Dolan

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 10:28:15 AM »
            Well, that didn't work either. Off to borrow a spare video card from a friend who has those types of things laying around. hope this works  :-/