Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-ROM drive not displaying?  (Read 2462 times)

Michael Lavieri

CD-ROM drive not displaying?
« on: November 04, 2005, 12:08:04 AM »
I just got some new equipment. I am 100% sure everything is %100 compatible with each other and that everything is connected properly.

My problem are two:
1. CD-ROM drive letter wont show up & nothing can read from it.
(yet, it shows up at the bios screen that it is connected)

2. Floppy drive light is always on (except when off). Also when a diskette is inserted and it tries to read it. It states that nothing is in the drive.

Any insight would greatly help. I am pretty sure everything is connected properly. Yet my bro and I prob did something wrong as there are problems.

Thanks SO MUCH.

GX1_Man

Re: CD-ROM drive not displaying?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 05:38:07 AM »
Floppy drive light on all the time? I'll bet it doesn't work. Try reversing the direction of the data cable.

CD-ROM is on the secondary channel? Is it jumpered correctly for master (if the only drive) or slave if a second optical drive? If it is a second drive on the channel, they both both must be jumpered correctly to function right. Being plugged in to power is obviously needed as well. Does it open and close?

Michael Lavieri

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 06:24:43 PM »
Thanks for your help. Though I "fixed" the CD-ROM drive. I had to install it through "add new hardware wizard" (probably possible to do without).

Im still not sure whats going on with the floppy. It might be it needs a driver or possible reinstall it through the same wizard mentioned above. Ill eventually try it later. As its not really my main concern.
 First to download heaps of updates (as I chose to wipe the hard-drive clean).

Someone who tends to panic - Mike

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 08:31:06 PM »
    Reverse IDE cable or you need a new Floppy drive.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 08:45:43 PM »
    Usually reverse the cable if the light stays on and it doesn't work.

Gary J. Frazelle

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 08:28:34 PM »
    Not sure about #1 but #2 you have the cable into the floppy in upside down.