Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing "Send to" items  (Read 9891 times)

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Missing "Send to" items
    « Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:29 AM »
    Appreciate the courtesy, but don't worry about that. We've all been doing this a long time and know better than to expect immediate responses :)

OK, thanks.

To answer your question:  I can't be sure how long I've had the problem.  I rebuilt, i.e. reinstalled WinXP on that particular PC earlier this year.  When I use it, I'm normally logged on as an administrator and the context menu is properly populated.  The other day I used my non-administrator's ID and wanted to send a shortcut to my desktop.  That's when I discovered the problem.  I cannot say whether that was the first time I have wanted to do that with that ID since the rebuild but it could be.

By the way, for what it's worth, I do not have the same problem on my other (main) PC.  There the menu is complete for all user-IDs, whether administrator or not.

I tried your suggestion with sfc /scannow.  I don't know whether it terminated normally or prematurely but it gave me no message, either positive or negative, and did not resolve the problem.

If you have any more ideas (or anyone else has), I'll gladly try but I don't think I want to spend toooooo much more time on this.  It's an annoying little glitch but hardly a show-stopper.  When I want to put a shortcut on the desktop of my non-administrator ID, I can do it via my administrator ID.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 12:46:20 AM »

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
      Try Here

Many thanks for those suggestions.  I had already tried the first two (as mentioned in my original post).  I just now tried the third, even though the resolution notes stated that "This happens if the file Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink is missing from the SendTo folder..." (as mentioned in my original post, that is not the problem in my case).  It was still worth a try and I had nothing to lose but, unfortunately, it did not resolve the problem.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 08:20:48 AM »
      It may be happening just on the guest account because of some anonymous security setting...does it work proper in the Admin account ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
        It may be happening just on the guest account because of some anonymous security setting...does it work proper in the Admin account ? ?

Yes, as mentioned in my original post, the context menu is properly populated for my Administrator's account; just not for any of my three "Limited" accounts.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
        Then it's a permissions issue in Admin settings...
        Alternatively you could try and install Send To and accept "for all users"...
        That may do it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
        It's worth noting that the SendTo folder used to populate the menu is the folder on the current user's account.

So if your username was Pete, than you would want to check this folder:

Code: [Select]
        C:\Documents And Settings\Pete\SendTo
        Note also that the SendTo menu is a hidden folder, so you may need to enable Hidden files (Tools->Folder Options, View Tab, and in the "Advanced Settings" list there is a "Hidden Files and Folders" Option- you would want to select "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

Are those items listed there? On a XP machine where it is functioning, I have 4 items listed (mail recipient,  Desktop as Shortcut, Compressed (zipped) folder, and My Documents) Are these listed properly in the corresponding Document folders for each user? You may want to copy the items from the corresponding administrator folder to the folder of your limited User.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »
        Just checking...wouldn't that make the Users send to functions wind up in the Admins corresponding folders ? ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 12:56:11 AM »
        Just checking...wouldn't that make the Users send to functions wind up in the Admins corresponding folders ? ?

copying from C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\SendTo (The corresponding administrator folder) to say C:\Documents and Settings\Pete\SendTo won't cause new items to appear in the first folder, no.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Pete

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
          Just to clarify:  The four items mentioned by "BC_Programmer" (the ones you normally see on the "Send to" context menu) were all in C:\Documents and Settings\Pete\SendTo.  When logged on as "Pete", I could see the items in the folder but they did not appear on my context menu.  When logged on with my admin ID, I can see the items in each of the limited users' SendTo folders as well as in the administrator's.

When "patio" mentioned that it was a permissions issue, it rang loud alarm bells.  With the benefit of hindsight, I should have thought of that before.  I checked the access rights* and found that none of the limited users had any access to their own SendTo folder!!  How that happened, I cannot imagine but I then gave each limited user full access to their own SendTo folder.  This solved the problem and the context menus are properly populated for each user!!

*In case it helps anyone else, I did that as follows.  Re-start in Safe Mode.  Open Explorer and right-click on, say, ...\Pete\SendTo.  Click on Properties and then on the Security tab.  The next dialogue box looks a bit like CACLS but, being a GUI, is easier to use.  In there, you can define what access each user has to the selected folder (or file).  By the way, if you have XP Pro, you might wonder why I say start in Safe Mode.  In XP Home, that's the only way to get to it.

So, very many thanks to "patio" for pointing me in the right direction and to everyone else who gave valuable contributions and suggestions.  I would also like to thank everyone who was interested enough to read this thread.  As I write this, it has been viewed far more often than many other threads!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
          Good to hear you are fixed up...

That setting may in fact be a Win default...i'd have to check a new User account to see...i'll do that later.

By the way...Welcome Aboard...