Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 95 startup problems  (Read 4630 times)

windie

Win 95 startup problems
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:19:37 PM »
I have an old ACER computer running win95 on an old 500MB hard drive.It previously ran win 98 ok on a different HD.

Ater the 'starting win95' message I get a message saying that win95 has been stopped from loading because of an incompatible MSDOS version.

I tried pressing the f8 key during the win95 start message but just recieved a mesage saying that there wasn't enough conventional memory.

Any ideas?

pcdoc4christ

Re: Win 95 startup problems
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »
Windie:

Sounds like you are booting to the Windows 98 DOS and then running the Windows 95 setup.  This cannot be done, as Windows 95 uses a different version of DOS than windows 98.  

Instead, use the Windows 98 floppy boot disk to format the hard drive with FAT (if you have the original release of Windows 95) or with FAT32 (if you have Windows 95 OSR2), then install Windows 95.  

CAUTION: Formatting the drive will delete all files on it.

Let us know if you need more help,
Doc

pcdoc4christ

Re: Win 95 startup problems
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 03:38:42 PM »
BTW: Many computer repair shops will sell you a 4 GB hard drive really cheap, which will give you eight times the hard drive space.