Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shift key randomly aCtiVeS  (Read 5132 times)

djne

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Shift key randomly aCtiVeS
    « on: December 04, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »
    Hello Fellow cOmpUTeR people,

I am having a sad old time with my computer at the moment. It randomly actives the shift key making basic computer operation pretty difFIcuLT. ThEre are times when the problem goes away but it inevitably comes back. I HAVE searched google and these forums for solutions and the ONLY ONe THAT has worked for others in most cases is replacing their CPU. This is something I want to avoid.

DEScription of HOw the problem first started: IT acTuAllY firsT started with my laptop about 3 months aGo and then graduated onto mY deSktop PC about 6 wEeks laTeR. The Thing they had in common is I used the same keyboard and mouse for both systems (i would sometimes hook my laptop up to my main monitor and connect the mousE and keyboard). I do not think it has something to do with the keyboard (CM Storm cherry red switch mechanical keyboard) as even when taking the laptop to university the same problem would happen using the laptop keyboard. Nor do i think it was necessarily started by the keyboard, as I used it for about 3 months prior to the problem occurring. What is bizarre is the apparent random nature of the problem going away then coming back. For instance, when the problem started on my desktop PC it lasted for about a week, then disappeared for 2 months and came back.

- The problem is NOT sticky keys
    - I have tried the "ease of accessibility" solution suggested which tells you to "reset default settings for keyboard, however on windows 8 I can't seem to find the "reset default settings" option as described for windows 7 users.
    - One user opened their case and unscrewed the motherboard + unplugged, replugged, re-screwed everything and the problem went away for at least a short period of time (never heard back after that, assuming the problem was resolved). I opened my motherboard and made sure everything was plugged in correctly however didn't manually uninstall/reinstall everything. Perhaps i might try that however this seems more like a software issue to do with the BIOS (apparently, according to more knowledgeable folk than myself)

Any help would GREATLY appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Shift key randomly aCtiVeS
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
    Replace the keyboard.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »
    Upon request I can give him a batch file to convert  all upper case letters. for a text file.  ;D

djne

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »
      it isn"T THE KeyBOARD i"VE TrIEd dIFfERENt kEyBAORDS

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
      it isn"T THE KeyBOARD i"VE TrIEd dIFfERENt kEyBAORDS
      BUT DID YOU REPLACE THE KEYBOARD?
      What is the make and model of the laptop? Is there a service agreement or warrenty for that unit?
      You can purchase a new laptop of the save make and model. Swap the hard drive with the old unit. That should  solve the problem.

Here is a tiop for your IT people. Get of copy of DOS on a USB stick. Boot the USB and run a keyboard test program. If the keyboard then works normal, that woul show you have a system problem  and not a hardware problem.

Otherwise, almost all keyboard issues with laptops are mechanical. Loose wire. Stuck key. Dirt. Split coffee.  Rarely a result of the wrong driver for the chip set.

djne

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »
        BUT DID YOU REPLACE THE KEYBOARD?
        What is the make and model of the laptop? Is there a service agreement or warrenty for that unit?
        You can purchase a new laptop of the save make and model. Swap the hard drive with the old unit. That should  solve the problem.

Here is a tiop for your IT people. Get of copy of DOS on a USB stick. Boot the USB and run a keyboard test program. If the keyboard then works normal, that woul show you have a system problem  and not a hardware problem.

Otherwise, almost all keyboard issues with laptops are mechanical. Loose wire. Stuck key. Dirt. Split coffee.  Rarely a result of the wrong driver for the chip set.
        ThE ISSUE IS WItH MY DESKTOP PC nOT my laptop (it broKE), but on my laptop i both triEd the lAptop keyboaRD and Another keyboard and in both caSEs the same problem occurred. I mentioned the caSE of the laptop to give some credence to my belief that it is a software problem not a hardware problem. In any case i have tried a different keyboard for my desktop pc and the problem was not resolved.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »
        ThE ISSUE IS WItH MY DESKTOP PC nOT my laptop (it broKE), but on my laptop i both triEd the lAptop keyboaRD and Another keyboard and in both caSEs the same problem occurred. I mentioned the caSE of the laptop to give some credence to my belief that it is a software problem not a hardware problem. In any case i have tried a different keyboard for my desktop pc and the problem was not resolved.
        WOW! So you did the drill. It looks like something has got into both computers. That can not be a coincidence. 
        Best thing is to go over to the Virus Removal form and post again over there.
        http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »
        It's not a virus...it's much ado about nothing...
        He's posted the same nonsense elsewhere...

Replace the keyboard.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

djne

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
          WOW! So you did the drill. It looks like something has got into both computers. That can not be a coincidence. 
          Best thing is to go over to the Virus Removal form and post again over there.
          http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0

The problem persists after reformatting so it doesn't seem to be a virus related issue

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
          Well, I am ready to think djne is not joking with us.
          Maybe both machines have a virus and the virus is hidden in a driver. (A Trojan)
          Look here:
          http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/
          How to Create a Bootable DOS USB Drive
          DOS isn’t widely used anymore, but you wouldn’t know if from reading instructions written by manufacturers for BIOS updates, firmware-updating utilities, and other low-level system tools. They will often require you to boot into DOS and run the utility.
          We once formatted our floppy disks with MS-DOS using the format utility built into Windows, but most computers don’t have floppy disk drives anymore. They may not even have optical disc drives!
          By using DOS one can eliminate many issues that are inside the Operation System. Such as a Trojan that escapes virus detection. DOS on a USB does not need to use any windows files and run s without support from the OS if it starts from boot on the USB.
          May I suggest the OP create a USB stick with DOS and test his machines.  If the keyboards of both machines still show the same  behavior, then we dill have to go in another direction.
          I will wait for the OP to respond. :)